promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 months ago

Early Christian Church question?

The 5 centers of Christianity being Jerusalem, Antioch, Alexandria, Rome & Constantinople out of these cities which one probably did the most for the early Church in terms of best stronghold away from Paganism and help set up the Church. I know all the councils of the early Church took place in what is now Turkey and when Rome was sacked the East took most of the responsibility but in the long run which city is likely owed the most recognition?

Looking most from 1st Century - 10th Century

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Doug
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

Both Rome and Constantinople were primary centers of Christianity, in those days. After the Great Schism in the 11th century, Orthodox Christianity broke up into various, local groups, with various local leaders, while the papacy remained in Rome and in charge - even after the empire fell.

Source(s): www.askmeaboutgod.org
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Dr. D
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

St Irenaeus lived from 130-202 and is considered one of the Early Church Fathers. He writes: "the very ancient, and universally known Church founded and organized at Rome by the two most glorious apostles, Peter and Paul; as also [by pointing out] the faith preached to men, which comes down to our time by means of the successions of the bishops. For it is a matter of necessity that every Church should agree with this Church, on account of its preeminent authority."

So from the 2nd century Rome was regarded by leading Christians as the "preeminent authority". Clement's letter to the Corinthians (around the year 90) also gives testimony to Rome's authority, as the Bishop of Rome was admonishing the church in Corinth.

The reason why the early church councils were held in Constantinople was because travel was difficult and Turkey was seen as a reasonable midpoint from various directions.

• Paul
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

These were concentrated areas of Catholicism during the first few centuries, but the Church never remained confined to specific areas. It grew and spread rapidly as its first bishops, the Apostles, and their appointed successors traveled far and wide, spreading the good new of Jesus Christ.

• Chi girl
      Lv 7
      10 months agoReport

There were concentrated areas of Christianity during the first few centuries. The Catholic Church didn't exist until the Great Schism of 1054.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

I believe it's Constantinople. Or is it Istanbul?

I know Istanbul WAS Constantinople...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 months ago

Just a guess without research but I'd say Constantinople.

• 10 months ago

ASK A TRINITY PASTOR............

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.