Does developers is planning to stop making games for 32 bit PC's?

It's very sad news for us low end gamers

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

64-bit processors came out in in consumer based products back in 2003. By 2011 most prebuilt PC's that were shipped had a 64-bit O.S.

So I don't see why any developer would support 32-bit computing at this point. Maybe for the sake of the game being playable on a low end PC.

The Golden rule is Video Games are made around the consoles.

The PS5 and nex Gen XBox will move to a platform that actually has a powerful CPU. The current PS4 and XBox One uses an AMD Bulldozer CPU that is relatively weak even at higher clock speeds. These console are using the Bulldozer processor with the clock speeds cut in half, which makes the single threaded performance of these processors weaker than an old Pentium 4.

Once Developers start making games around the PS5/next Gen XBox, 32-bit gaming will be a goner.

• 12 months ago

The industry has already done this in the past, so it's just a natural evolution of things.

16-bit PC's were operations until Windows 98 was released, which where the jump to 32-bit occurred (including the jump from FAT to FAT32 format)... this was back in 1998.

32-bit PC's have been in the mainstream until around 2009 with Windows 7. While 64-bit versions of Windows XP & Vista existed, most people didn't utilize it because of lack of viable software at the time (so 64-bit components were still hamstrung to the 32-bit limitations). These jumps occurred because programs & software were hitting the limitations of the bit range, mostly on storage & RAM.

* 16-bit -- 64 KB (65,536 bytes) max

* 32-bit -- 4 GB (= 4,096 MB = 4,194,304 KB = 4,294,967,296 bytes) max

* 64-bit -- 16 EB (= 16,384 PB = 16,777,216 TB = 17,179,869,184 GB = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes) max

These are running with the assumption of 1 unit = 1 byte. On storage, computers were increasing the "unit size" (also known as "cluster size") to temporarily side-step the situation with 32-bit storage limitations until 64-bit became more technically viable.

With the majority of hardware makers & OS going to 64-bit, software makers have finally made the jump & committing to 64-bit architecture & eventually discontinuing 32-bit. Even on the mobile side, Apple has discontinued 32-bit support (as Apple started making 64-bit iPhones with the iPhone SE & 6) & pulled all apps that refused to update to the 64-bit base from the iTunes store. Google is currently following suit with their transition to completely 64-bit with Android over the next year (they're still supporting 32-bit versions, but software makers MUST make a 64-bit version to stay listed in the Play Store).

The migration is happening right now, but it's more of a natural deal as 64-bit architecture is providing more resources than 32-bit allows as system requirements for games break the 4 GB RAM mark (the barrier between 32 & 64-bit), which many high-end games requiring at least 8 GB to run. However, only those who keep track of such technical things are knowing about this jump as the average user isn't paying attention to it (in line with the "Just works" mentality).

Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

• 12 months ago

I've not had a 32-bit PC in over 10 years. If you have any PC that is at least 2009, it's likely a 64-bit processor. You may have a 32-bit OS installed, but the processor is still 64-bit.

• 12 months ago

As far as I'm aware, pretty much all major and modern games from the past 5-6 years are 64-bit only. Some games require more than 4GB of RAM, so a 32-bit system wouldn't be able to run them.

Is there any reason you're still using a 32-bit system? I'm pretty sure most PCs from the past decade are 64-bit capable. Even my old HP Pavillion from 2009 uses a 64-bit CPU

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 12 months ago

1. all 64 bit OSes cost the same as 32 bit

2. all 64 bit OSes support 32 bit programs

3. the 32 bit key works for the 64 bit version of the OS

4. 32 bit only hardware has not been made since the early 2000s

even if they do stop making 32bit games (which i doubt they will in the next decade)

you can just reinstall your OS to support 64 bit software

its very easy and costs nothing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.