if a grand parent has filed for grand parent rights, do they have to serve you or will you just get an order to appear?

In MY State - and all States aren't the same - you will be served. In the majority of States there is no such thing as Grandparents' rights.

IF the Grandparents were active in the lives of the Grandchildren the Courts attempt to mediate so that the children will continue to have contact. Mediate and order are two different things.

If this is following a divorce, the Court will undoubtedly deny the motion out of concern that the Grandparents will "bad mouth" the non-relative parent.

The other concern - if there is a problem with visitation with either birth parent - is that Grandparents attempt to get visitation so that their son/daughter still has contact, usually behind the parent's back.

• PAMELA

Grend parents have no rights,get a lawyer if you want legal advice.

• Judith

Where did you do your research? It is NOT true that Grandparents have no rights IN SOME STATES.

Before, you assume anyone is squabbling understand you dont know the whole case. I currently have an order of protection agaisnst my kids father he is not allowed to see or be around me or our children. So now that he lost in court and has no rights his mom is trying to them them

• Nuff Sed

If you're going to add things to your original question, you need to edit and update the question, above, not add things in "answers" or comments down here. Thank you. Many people could flag this "answer" as a violation.

• Ludwig

Normally there are no such things as 'grandparents rights'.

You'll be served with a summons to appear in court. They're the same thing.

What a shame for the children that the adults in their lives are squabbling!

• tmarie11 months agoReport