if a grand parent has filed for grand parent rights, do they have to serve you or will you just get an order to appear?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

In MY State - and all States aren't the same - you will be served. In the majority of States there is no such thing as Grandparents' rights.

IF the Grandparents were active in the lives of the Grandchildren the Courts attempt to mediate so that the children will continue to have contact. Mediate and order are two different things.

If this is following a divorce, the Court will undoubtedly deny the motion out of concern that the Grandparents will "bad mouth" the non-relative parent.

The other concern - if there is a problem with visitation with either birth parent - is that Grandparents attempt to get visitation so that their son/daughter still has contact, usually behind the parent's back.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

Grend parents have no rights,get a lawyer if you want legal advice.

• ...Show all comments
    • Judith
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

Where did you do your research? It is NOT true that Grandparents have no rights IN SOME STATES.

• 11 months ago

Before, you assume anyone is squabbling understand you dont know the whole case. I currently have an order of protection agaisnst my kids father he is not allowed to see or be around me or our children. So now that he lost in court and has no rights his mom is trying to them them

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

If you're going to add things to your original question, you need to edit and update the question, above, not add things in "answers" or comments down here. Thank you. Many people could flag this "answer" as a violation.

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

Normally there are no such things as 'grandparents rights'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

You'll be served with a summons to appear in court. They're the same thing.

What a shame for the children that the adults in their lives are squabbling!

• tmarie11 months agoReport

Before, you assume anyone is squabbling understand you dont know the whole case. I currently have an order of protection agaisnst my kids father he is not allowed to see or be around me or our children. So now that he lost in court and has no rights his mom is trying to them them

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.