Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 11 months ago

Do atheists consider this Joel Osteen quote to be intelligent and convincing?

Attachment image

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 11 months ago

As an atheist, not so much but I can see a certain wisdom behind it. People seek religions for emotional comfort and to say ignore the facts of how bad things are and simply "trust" that everything will work out okay is a type of wisdom that usually holds true. Of course the reality is that things have no choice but to work themselves out in some kind of fashion and thus supports the notion of ignoring the facts. It's only in actual learning that his quote is nonsense, at the emotional level it's a form of wisdom. It's sort of like saying "ignore the facts and life still goes on", which is generally true, where ignoring the facts isn't the best way to make informed decisions but life doesn't care if you are stupid.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Doc
    Lv 6
    11 months ago

It gets Christians to hand over more cash,

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

Nope.........................................

• 11 months ago

I'm no atheist but I know what Joel's trying to say. Facts can be misleading because we are human and can't know everything. It comes to light that a 68 year old doctor was charged with statutory rape of a 16-year-old when he was 18: FACT.

Turns out the girl was his fiancee, they were married and have been happily married for 50 years with six children and 11 grandchildren.

Five people see a "hit-and-run." They each swear to tell the truth and then give five different make, model, and color of the car. What's the fact?

Joel is simply saying that Satan can thoroughly convince you with facts and seduce you away from the Love of God; and it's not that hard.

Crack makes you feel good: Fact

In the Middle Ages Christians waged war on the Islamic Saracens: Fact.

There is no physical proof of God: Fact

There is no proof for the miracles of the Bible: Fact

There's no law against premarital sex: Fact

There is no proof that prayer works: Fact

There are no miracles, only coincidences: Fact

If a woman dresses like a whore and behaves like a tramp in a bar full of men, she should expect to be treated as such: Fact

Everyone lies, including Christians: Fact

You can't legislate morality: Fact

There is no evidence of life after death: Fact

• ...Show all comments
    • jon pike
      Lv 7
      11 months agoReport

I never said it was. I have only said that the life of Christ was. And what I've given you are indeed facts. What about the 19th century so-called FACT of canals on Mars?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

A person can battle atheism and the false teachings of Protestantism using the rosary and fasting.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

He doesn't even fool most Christians, and they're a pretty easy group to scam.

• 11 months ago

This man is a wolf in sheep clothing. Everything he says borders on blasphemy or is blasphemy

• Cogito
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

I've never heard of him. He sounds like either an idiot or a scam artist.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

It's garbage

Faith is based on believing the facts of the Bible (Romans 4:20). So as usual, Osteen is a liar that doesn't know anything. But his boring little sayings that say nothing at all, will always be popular with a group of people that hate the Bible but want to "do church stuff".

Source(s): Bible
  • 11 months ago

I always knew he wasn't too bright.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.