Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

My Dr. told me: "You get skinnier and you get hospitalized. Period". Isn't that a threat? Can an adult (me, 20) be threateneed?

w/ hospitalization

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

You are not an adult, because you are still under 21.

It may be a threat but the doctor cannot actually do anything to you.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Neil
    Lv 4
    6 months ago

Sometimes a sense of rebellion is a good thing. This is not one of those times.

• 6 months ago

That wasn't a threat. You were being told that you will end up in the hospital if you continue losing weight, not that anyone would physically restrain you and confine you to one. I'm guessing that you have an out of control eating disorder.

• Ludwig
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

You sound insane. It is a fact that if the doctors and social workers agree you are mad, you can be locked up in a big white house. You need not be hospitalized. You might be buried or cremated instead.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Yes, you can be threatened. If you're mentally ill, you can be detained against your will for treatment in a secure hospital. Your choice, but either way you're not going to starve yourself to death.

• Alex
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Well yes you can. You just were.

Whether or not they can carry out that threat depends on the laws in your state regarding mental health and whether or not they can prove that your weight loss is a result of an eating disorder.

• 6 months ago

That’s a wake up call. Why would the doctor threaten you.

Your body needs to weigh a minimum in order to function properly. Don’t weigh enough and it starts to malfunction. If it doesn’t get the nutrients that it needs, your body will cannibalize itself. It’ll eat itself to get the nutrients that it needs.

Do you want to be another Karen Carpenter.

• Shilo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

.....not enough information in this question, but it sounds more like the concern of a Dr. trying to save your life rather than a threat.

• 6 months ago

That's not a threat, it's information being passed along ...and probably better than being surprised, I think.

• helene
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

My parents would have put it this way:

"It's not a threat, it's a promise."

You CAN be hospitalized against your will, if you are a danger to yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.