I need to move my wireless router. I was wondering If I unplug it for less than 5 minutes will I need to set up connection again?

Favorite Answer

it won't make any difference. Sort of like a power outage, it's set up to remember things when the power goes out. I unplugged my router to move and it was in storage for 6 months. When I plugged it back in, all the information was exactly as I had left it, both the SSID and password.

• Steven

Firstly you have to restart the router and try to connect again, otherwise you have to discuss with networking service provider.

• Roddy

No. It will take the router a few minutes to re-connect itself to your ISP and then your ethernet and wifi connections will work as before (assuming you are still within range of the wifi).

• Rick

There are now viruses that attack the software in your routers, so you SHOULD unplug them once a month or so so they load the NEWEST software available ............

No matter - your devices remember the password to the router, not vice-versa.

Unplugging it will just cause it to reboot when plugged back in. Anything using it will automatically reconnect. I have had power failures with no problems.

Probably not, but hard to tell from no maker or model number.

Source(s): I swap routers now and then (one is VPN, one is not). Even after weeks off, the incoming one seems fine without setup.