C asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 12 months ago

Where should I sit at lunch?

I started high school 2 days ago. I'm from a small private middle school, so I know 4 people in my lunch. They hang out a lot (without me), and they sit at a table with about 8 other girls I don't know, but they do know and are friends with. If I sit with them, those 8 girls would wonder why I'm sitting with them (because they don't know who I am.) I actually did sit there the second day, but everyone ignored me (admittedly I didn't talk either.) What do I do?

mamawisdom is 10000% correct. good luck :)

Wherever you want. You can sit alone or with a group. You may ask "May I join you?", or you can just take a seat. You do need to be friendly -- at least introduce yourself ("Hi. I'm Claire, I went to ABC Academy with Kyla and Emily."). You can also do the same thing if you see someone from one of your classes.

Don't worry. It takes a couple of weeks for people to sort themselves out into new friend groups. Just remember that being shy and silent is read by others as not being friendly or open. As hard as it is, you need to make an effort to talk to other kids.

Good luck!

• denise

You could sit at a vacant table nearby, You could get invited to join the few people you know or someone may come over and ask to join you if they see you're on your own.

Sit down with a teacher. Ask him/her about your social problem. Ask for advice from teacher about socializing better.

Sit there.

You need to assess what's happened and figure out how to make it better though. You've tried your way, which is you waiting and hoping people would take care of you socially, but this is the result you got, you ate lunch quietly and nobody went out of their way to get to know you. Time for something different, you gotta talk. If you just show up and do nothing you just end up being someone out-of-place, how are they going to get to know you if you don't talk? Maybe they think you don't even want to talk to them, everyone is reading each other and there's always two sides to a coin. Be nice, talk a little, show off your personality, get people to like you. That's how it always works. What doesn't usually work is not trying.

i would just sit with whoever you want and not care what people think

• Elaine

Since you know 4 of the people ask them if you can join them for lunch. Introduce yourself to the other 8. Listen to the conversation and join in. HOWEVER nothing is more off putting than to try to converse with someone who only gives monosyllabic answers.

Ask one of these 4 girls you know to sit with them in lunch. I know you might be kind of shy since you aren't close friends with the whole group but honestly just go for it. See if you have any classes together( you and any of these girls) and try to talk to them. Also be open to talk to other classmates so you don't have to focus only on that group. And i'm pretty sure these girls didn't purposely ignore you when you sat with them, they just don't know you and perhaps they too don't want to be the one who starts the conversation. Try, however, getting to know each one individually because that's way its easier. And because people tend to be more open when having a one -to - one conversation instead of speaking to a group. Try as much as you can not to think about what they are thinking of you because that will just put you down and make you less sociable. Good luck with high school & hope you make great friends! :)

You sit alone, or as close to it as possible.

UNTIL you are invited to sit with someone/group, or someone sits with You.