How much to build a house per sqr metere?

So I've been looking around for a while at building a small standard "affordable" 46 square meter bungalow up in scotland and I've been quoted 2,100 (£96,000 , 1,560 £71k before had another company say they charge 900 per sqr meter but that's a pre fab cabin company, of course all the companies I've looked at before have different standard's and expierence/abbilities, I'm now trying the route of just going through local companies and independant builders as well as learning some of the trade myself, I've spent the last couple of years working hard as hell trying to save for a possible build after looking at many different "affordable" building types ie tiny houses and cabins etc... of course I know I'll also have ground work cost, fittings etc.. below is a layout

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sWpiPcGThfQ8UDzk8

• Edwena

Building a custom built home on land that you purchase without the utilities is the most expensive and time consuming way of doing it. It also happens to be the best. The prefab homes that they move to your property are cheaply built and should be avoided if you are permanent for a life time. So, the best option probably is buying an existing home and modify it over time as you want it.

• Edwena

Don't build anything until you have in all on paper and know what you are going to do.

Your most accurate price is going to come from local builders when you provide them a complete description what you want, where it is and the level of "finish" inside.

You have two prices, what is the problem with them?

Find out the cost for the whole house design, then divide by square meters?

Some things on that house will be independent of the floor size - you'll still need the utility connections and a heating system, for example. The price of the ground may also be indepenent of the house size (sure, you'll need a larger piece of ground in order to build a larger building, but over here, you have to buy a whole parcel of ground, no matter the size of the house you put on, within the permitted limits). Also any auxiliray buildings (like a garage) will be independent of the building size.

The there are things like the exterior walls, which will not depend linearly on the floor size - or the roof construction. In the end, the only thing that will really depend on the floor area are the carpets (or other flooring) and roof tiles. And even there, youo can easily have a variation of a factor of 5 for different styles or quality.

Looking at your plan, it shows no room for any installations (heating, water, wasterwater, electricity, phone connections?) or storage (ok, there's that one small cubboard) - but it also doesn't show any access to a basement.

• Shia3 months agoReport

Thank you!

The plan isn't completley finished yet but a working progress, so any advice is welcomed but the entrance hall will be slightly bigger and will be storage for the boiler as well as the meter and a small loft that can be used for storing things