Sarah asked in PetsCats · 4 months ago

Do I let my cat outside?

I’ve had my cat for about 10 yrs & when I met her she was just a stray. So, after we took her in, we would let her outside whenever she wanted since it was the environment she was most familiar with. Slowly, she’s transitioned into more of a house cat. But still has the desire to go outside.. Recently, she was missing for a day, which made me apprehensive to let her out again. But, last night, she really wanted to go outside & I didn’t let her. Am I being cruel to her by keeping her inside? Is she unhappy that I made her stay in?

Indoor only cats average 15 years. Outdoor only cats average 2-5 years. Indoor/outdoor cats are somewhere in between. When outside they could get hit by a car, attacked by an animal etc. Its not safe. Not only that but outdoor cats kill off the native wildlife. They are an invasive species. Then there is the fact that they are a nuisance to neighbors and spread toxoplasmosis.

That being said, feel free to take her out on a harness or get an outdoor enclosure for her. Those are great ways to let her be outside without all the risk.

• Sharon

regardless of her opinions on the matter, outside cats are exposed to evil humans, dogs, parasites, diseased cats, cars, animals such as foxes. I have four cats, all rescues, and none are allowed outdoors.

• Sam

At least your cat knew where home was, because she's a smart cat. Cats that have never been outdoors are not as street educated and have a greater chance of getting lost or injured.

Maybe now she has it out of her system. At ten years old, she soon will have it out of her system. She'll be less curious about the outdoors and satisfied with the creature comforts of home.

My two ten year old girls have no interest in going outside. I've had them since they were three weeks old, born outside, and they have many opportunities to go out. When I leave the front door wide open they'll walk up to the threshold, sit and look around outside, but that's it.

They know they have a good thing here, because the outside cats are always trying to get inside.

They don't want to lose their territory, they want to protect it. They probably think, "He might let those cats inside and put us outside, we don't want that"

(I would never do that)

Source(s): At the time I got them, I didn't want any pets. I thought I'd get them to an age where they could be adopted. Then I got attached to them and thought I'd keep one and let the other be adopted, but couldn't decide which. Ten years now and I still haven't decided. One will drag my sock into the living room and I'll say, "You're the one I'm taking to the shelter" Then the other will knocked things off the sink, and I'll say the same to her. Let's face it, after ten years, neither are going.

You want it to be dead or stolen then let it roam. No one in their right mind lets their cat roam loose. The cat ends up dead or stolen. People lay poison out for cats who have lazy owners that let it roam, they are often stolen , ran over and worse

A collar won't stop the cat from being killed or stolen, they can just take the collar of. A chip won't stop any one from killing the cat or stealing it either

• Star_of_Darkness

Cats are PETS, they are fully domesticated and they are property . They don't need to be outside roaming around pooping every where and killing wild life and the like. Cats let outside are commonly killed

• Mandy

There is no intelligent person that would just let their cat go outside. It doesn’t matter what their age is. You were not wrong to let her out. I take my cat out walking because he enjoys being outside. So, I put the harness on him and we go out. He really enjoys it and I know that he’s safe from animals, traffic and worst of all, people.

• Star_of_Darkness

NO they don't. They are simply animals that can't understand that people have a right to shoot or poison them

Ten is quite old, and she's probably not as physically and mentally sharp as she used to be. It's a gamble. I had an old cat that liked to go outside, but I went outside with him and we stayed in the back yard. At the very least, you should have her micro-chipped and put tags on her so you can be located if someone does find her injured or dead.

• Sam

yes, my cats are smarter than me, but I'm smarter than you.