Cynthia asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 6 months ago

Besides rice, what else is good to eat with meat and fish?

salad and vegetables they ARE NOT CARBS LIKE RICE.

Wheat and brown bread.

salad and vegetables

Vegetables, fruit and potatoes.

• Logan

Include a starchy carb like rice, quinoa, pasta, or potato, as well as a fibrous carb like broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, or brussels sprouts.

Salad... vegetables.

Rice is fattening and it's a grain.

• Pippin

Any food can be fattening if you eat enough of it. And yes, it's a grain. As is true of many staple foods. He's clearly NOT opposed to eating grains if he eats rice.

• Pippin

Whatever you enjoy, and depending on how the meat and fish are prepared.

My kitchen includes a wide range of veggies (especially in summer) -- carrots, green beans, peas, brocolli, cabbage, bok choy, squash, salad greens (which I sometimes cook), spinach, etc. (We aren't fond of beets, but if you like them, eat them.)

It also contains a wide range of starches: rice (brown, white and short grain), potatoes, pasta, egg noodles, flour (which I might make into biscuits or dumplings or a crust for a meat pie or just plain bread if the meal is sandwiches or hambugers), whole grains (farro, kamut, wheat, rye berries), couscous (large and small grain), freekeh, bulgar, kasha, barley, matzoh meal (mostly for meatloaf, but sometimes for breading chicken or cutlets) ... I think that's about it.

I don't often cook with fruit (it's mostly for snacks and breakfast), but apples are good in many recipes, and sometimes I use dried apricots.

Besides rice? Why rice? White rice especially is filled with empty calories, very little nutritional value. Much like potatoes that have the same shortfall.

When I cook for myself, about five days out of seven, I do a two-plate meal (TPM).

I put veggies in the bottom of a bowl, drop mouth-size chunks of meat or fowl atop the veggies, add some butter atop the meat, place a flat plate over the bowl with the veggies and meat/fowl and zap the two plates in the microwave oven on Reheat.

Let the TPM sit a bit after the oven turns off and then open up the TPM and enjoy the fully cooked meat and veggies in the bowl. No starch, low carb, hot and steamy meal and the veggies are flavored with the broth that drips from the meat/fowl during cooking.

Veggies I've cooked by TPM include: mini carrots, Brussels spouts, sliced beets, and chunks of butter squash.

Meat chunks done by TPM: prime rib eye, chicken, hamburger (patty).

I have not done fish as I'm not a fish eater in general.

• k w

potato cooked in butter not fries and never use refined oils,.........don't forget the fruit and greens, it helps digestion and helps keep you regular.....

Salad or potato.