Anonymous

I’ve hit rock bottom doing something illegal to make money?

I lost my job and took a part time job until I can find full time work. I’m struggling with depression and finding work. My current boss is asking me to do something that I KNOW is illegal. I even brought it to his attention and he said “that’s not the point.” I KNOW I need to leave this job but I’m REALLY struggling financially and can’t afford to not have any income coming in at all. I don’t know what to do. Can anyone offer me some advice?

Favorite Answer

If you are depressed, PLEASE see a doctor. There is great treatment.

In regards to being asked to do something illegal. Tell your boss that you will NOT do it. Try to document them asking you to do this and if they fire you, you have grounds to sue them.

Don't do it. Tell your employer that you will not be a party to the crime he has in mind. I, too, was once directed by a lawyer to do something illegal - insurance fraud. I didn't know that he was lying to me and called the insurance company to file his claim for stolen merchandise, worth many thousands of dollars. I later found a receipt on his desk - he sold the equipment. I confronted him. He grabbed the receipt from me and crumpled it. Another employee overheard us and confronted him - she knew it was a fraud - he had asked her first to file a claim and she refused. She was aware of his numerous frauds but she was desperate to keep the job. I called the insurance company and told them that the equipment was sold - there would be no claim. Neither of us were fired but he went on working his next fraud, involving both of us. I confronted him again. He said everybody does it - it doesn't have to be true. I promptly went looking for another job. Years later, he was in prison for 13 years, for fraud. When he got out, he left the state. Maintain your own integrity.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Don't due it. Maybe you think you can't afford not to have income, but you also can't afford to get arrested, hire a lawyer, send time in prison, etc.

Very few bosses require you to do something illegal. Your mental health is unrelated.

• Sam

So why dont you just give the details? It sounds made up otherwise.

• Maxi

Be prepared to serve the time if you do the crime!

• Erik

Not until you tell us what it is. If it's "steal something" or "kill someone", don't do it.

• Tavy

Turn the other cheek, it might be illegal but it's his business and his problem. Keep looking for other work.