Help with a "suicidal" or histrionic son?

We're having family trouble, my son is 17 and came out to me long ago, but he's now desperate because he can't get a partner to talk to about his sexuality and interests, and after an argument we had, though I am a very chilled-out woman, he went to the backyard and coiled a wire around his neck and called me.

Is that suicidal or histrionism, thank you and you be Blessed if you help me deal with it, he's sleeping right now, I got up early.

• HMFan
    Favorite Answer

He needs to get together with a therapist, straight/gay alliance, gay support group, counseling center... SOMEONE. You might see if there's a local PFLAG chapter near you. Being a 17-year-old, he probably won't take kindly to you trying to "force him to talk to someone." He needs to believe that when he decides to talk to someone, it is of his own free will. Try your best to take your cues from him, being supportive when you need to be and backing off when he needs his space. If he's never seen any "It Gets Better" videos or read the book by the same name penned by Dan Savage, that may help him to feel not so isolated. We all deal with our coming out and sexuality in different ways; I'm sorry that your son is having such a terrible time of it and wish I could give him some "magic spell" to make it all go away. Both of you hang in there; this is a rough road to travel but no matter what happens, keep communicating (while arguing isn't the best way to do that, is still is communication) and try to see past the pain to the PERSON. And remember: the two of you ARE NOT ALONE. There are many people who have gone through this and there will be many more. The world needs you BOTH; trust in that. Peace and Love to you both.

It sounds like he wasn’t serious about suicide but I think therapy will help him.

Take no chances. He needs therapy either way. Act now.

He doesn't sound suicidal (today), but someone who calls a crowd to watch him commit suicide is just trying to get attention.

Whichever it is he needs help immediately . Get him to a professional therapist at once. if you live in or near a big city call the LGBT center for a referral. Hang in there

No, that's emotional blackmail.

He's probably just crazy.

The reason the homosexuals took up slanging themselves as 'gay' is because they keep killing themselves More often than any other group of type of people ever this whole planet AND do not want us to remember this about them!

Those of us that Do Beleive in GOD have lives filled with LOVE! LOVE comes from and with GOD!

Atheists, including homosexuals, cannot feel anymore than each of their own LUST, for only each of their own wants!

See if you can convince him to come back to GOD and LOVE!

Homosexuals as of 5 years ago had also already Raped over 24 Million innocent Boys and Young Men just in the USA! Some countries are bragging of more! Dose he want to be Raped by a male? Or become so himself?

• Delia S6 months agoReport

You are such a deceiver.

Sounds like histrionism, but he needs help, we have 8% more probabilities to suicide than other minorities