Marvin asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 months ago

to what extent is philosophy a first order discipline?

to the point that you live as you think.

What creates order! It is not discipline, it is intelligence. (J. Krishnamurti)

Knowing. Awareness.

• summertime

Peter If I were a professional I could tell you. Instead I'm looking to further the meaning of it all myself. Sorry to disappoint you with my simple answer that came immediately to my head to your question.

1/ it is the core of all other subjects.

2/ it works on the very essences of all things.

Many misunderstand the dribblings of d1ck heads and self serving ego dispensers to be philosophy. It is not. It is the rational and logical examination of what is A Priori. It has lead to the birth and development of all science, humanities and mathematics.

To the extent that it is not a second order discipline

A very, very, distant extent.

• Philosophy is just a word. And each philosopher has made his or her own spin on it. There is no true philosophy. Just a bunch of contending constructions for the adherents of future generations. But each person needs to make the choice for themselves and decide what exists. Nothing which exists is ideal. Everything is a contender for a position in our hearts and minds. But it is simply the best which can be made within the limitations of the universe.

• We are the sum of every possible change which our existence allows. We are just a part of the growing organism of life as a whole. More than life but of the cosmos.

• P

That depends on what you consider philosophy to be, and what it means to you as an individual. To the extent that philosophy is a love of wisdom it isn't. To the extent that philosophy is critical original thought it depends on how widely that thought is focused. To the extent that it is an academic exercise in history and memory it is very much a first order discipline

To about 43%, according to the philosopher William Friedkin in his new book, The Path of Philosophy. The book explains where that seemingly arbitrary number comes from.