Can I get financial cover whilst recovering from major surgery?

I am a transgender female and am having my gender reassignment surgery in early 2020 but I don't think my employers will be paying me my usual salary for the entire 12 weeks I am off work for whilst recovering. Is there any insurance or something else in place that anyone is aware of that will cover my living costs whilst off work?

Or you could have put savings aside to cover this period.

That being elective surgery, you may not be covered. Talk to HR and your insurance if you have it.

• Most people go back to work in about 6 weeks.

I was 45 when I had my surgery, took 9 weeks and did fine.

I don't know what country you're from, do they have a government policy on medical leaves?

Most of my time off was covered by regular vacation time and authorized as medical leave (meaning they couldn't give my job away).

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)

Be careful I have a neighbor that did so. The surgery disabled her from being able to work! Cancer she has also had lately.

• Still pushing this story? I hope you realize that negative side effects like that (if true) are extremely rare. But that doesn't matter to phobes like you, does it?