Jerome
Jerome asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 months ago

Who exactly were the "sea peoples" who were enemies of the ANCIENT Egyptians before BIBILICAL times?

And why is so little is known about these peoples?

Favorite Answer

Unknown. The so-called Sea Peoples, whose origins, perhaps from different parts of the Mediterranean such as the Black Sea, the Aegean and Anatolian regions, remain obscured.

• blu

"The Sea Peoples are a purported seafaring confederation that attacked ancient Egypt and other regions of the East Mediterranean prior to and during the Late Bronze Age collapse (1200–900 BCE).[1][2].

Their origins undocumented, the various Sea Peoples have been proposed to have originated from places that include western Asia Minor, the Aegean, the Mediterranean islands and Southern Europe.[5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples

The more ancient the history, the less likelihood to learn about them.

• Lv 6

i think they maybe were Scandinavians, early "Vikings" who interbred with the Greeks and gave them their "Aryan" genetics maybe

The citizens of Thera (Minoans). This is actually more like Biblical times, but pre-Exodus and possibly up to Exodus. Some speculate that many of the plagues of Egypt were the result of the eruption that destroyed their major city on Thera.

• You say this as if you KNOW it's a fact. The Thera eruption is dated almost half a millennium before the time of the Sea Peoples.

• Ludwig

Believed to have come from places like Sicily and some Greek islands.

I believe that most historians theorized that the Sea people were some form of Proto-Greeks and other peoples on the Greek and Italian lands.

I don’t understand why you don’t read an article online, Fishface. This came up first result when I googled “the Sea Peoples”: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ancient.eu/amp/1-...

@Jerome- Sorry about that, I’m on my phone and Y!A doesn’t let me see peoples’ profiles in that format. I assumed it was Fishface because (s)he usually asks similarly inane questions. Anyway, why would you come to Yahoo Answers of all places to verify the accuracy of a vetted and credible encyclopedic resource?

@Emothic- I'm pretty sure I am on the web version. I'm not using an app version. I don't see a three dot menu bar anywhere.