Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 11 months ago

Should someone who isn't good in math even try to go to college to be a nurse?

Check the curriculum. Some schools require you to take up to calculus 2 while others simply require basic college algebra. Wished someone told me that.

• :)

As a senior in nursing school, I can tell you that the mah we do is basic algebra and basic statistics. I’m not “amazing” at math either, but I can easily do the nursing math. Also, math is a skill everyone can work at. You’re not cursed with either being good or bad; you just have to work at it.

On our exams, we go have math problems. Dimensional analysis for medication doses/IV pump settings. Also unit conversions. But in the real world, pharmacy does all that.

You can struggle through it and get your RN. The math part is important in a hospital setting and the higher paying specialties. However, there is a place for an RN in home health care, retirement home settings. All nurses are not created equally.

My best friend with a severe learning disability and horrible with math got her license and works as a Home health care nurse. She did work at a hospital once but got fired for her mistakes with math. Settled into home health care and makes a decent living. So yes, it can be done.

• edward

No. Math is 100% essential. Not for the job but for the school to become one. I haven’t used it since i started. Only for counting large numbers.

RN's and PA's today know as much as a doctor knew a few decades ago. The training is intense and requires an ability to absorb a tremendous amount of information and retain it. Math is also required.

Generically, your question is should someone not try in life to pursue their dreams or make their life better. Everyone has weaknesses. Not everyone hides behind them.

I think that math is a non-essential for nursing. You should worry about other skills.