Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 11 months ago

Should someone who isn't good in math even try to go to college to be a nurse?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    11 months ago

Check the curriculum. Some schools require you to take up to calculus 2 while others simply require basic college algebra. Wished someone told me that.

• :)
    Lv 5
    11 months ago

As a senior in nursing school, I can tell you that the mah we do is basic algebra and basic statistics. I’m not “amazing” at math either, but I can easily do the nursing math. Also, math is a skill everyone can work at. You’re not cursed with either being good or bad; you just have to work at it.

On our exams, we go have math problems. Dimensional analysis for medication doses/IV pump settings. Also unit conversions. But in the real world, pharmacy does all that.

• Anonymous
    11 months ago

You can struggle through it and get your RN. The math part is important in a hospital setting and the higher paying specialties. However, there is a place for an RN in home health care, retirement home settings. All nurses are not created equally.

My best friend with a severe learning disability and horrible with math got her license and works as a Home health care nurse. She did work at a hospital once but got fired for her mistakes with math. Settled into home health care and makes a decent living. So yes, it can be done.

• edward
    Lv 7
    11 months ago

No. Math is 100% essential. Not for the job but for the school to become one. I haven’t used it since i started. Only for counting large numbers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 11 months ago

RN's and PA's today know as much as a doctor knew a few decades ago. The training is intense and requires an ability to absorb a tremendous amount of information and retain it. Math is also required.

• 11 months ago

Generically, your question is should someone not try in life to pursue their dreams or make their life better. Everyone has weaknesses. Not everyone hides behind them.

• 11 months ago

I think that math is a non-essential for nursing. You should worry about other skills.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.