Is it normal to not like customers to the degree I do?

So I’ve worked retail since high school, currently going to college and workin retail as well. It used to not bother me, but over the last few years it’s like the customers have gotten both more rude, and extremely dumb! So a couple weeks ago I saw one fall over a wet spot and land funny, paramedics had to come. Now I don’t wish pain on anyone but I don’t know watching a dumb customer fall kinda made me feel good in a weird sort of way. Is it normal to hate customers to the degree I do?

Wow. Total lack of empathy--you enjoyed watching someone get hurt. And the store is legally liable, too, which makes you a bad employee for not dealing with the wetness or putting out a warning sign as the law requires.

At the store where I buy groceries, you'd be fired for either one.

• A.J.

To some extent it is slip on the banana peel humor which is a bit childish but there is a child in all of us. As we get older, people tend to be more cynical of other people. In the range of normal, it isn't abnormal, but not a preferred way in terms of empathy that the best of people have for others. You probably should look into another line of employment interacting less with large numbers of people in a day. It's likely over time, your feelings will get worse.

You seem unhappy with your job, and although tolerating it, retail is typically not high enough a pay scale to be in and unhappy about it.