Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 12 months ago

My brother is American citizen, he applied in 2015 the I-130 form, I am waiting. ( I know it takes like 10 years.?

My question is: can my parents ( green card holders) apply too? It is quicker than with my brother. But the fact that I already have an application, can I have another one?

2 Answers

  • 12 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Based on your brother's application, you are in the F4 family preference category. They are working on November 2006 applications now, so waiting time is actually 13 years for most countries, not 10.

    As Green Card holders, your parents can petition for an UNMARRIED child.

    If you are under 21, you are in the F2A category. The category is current, meaning no waiting time, just processing time of about a year. If you are over 21, you are in the F2B category. Waiting time is for most countries 5 years, longer for the Philippines and Mexico.

    Here's the one caveat though: Your parents cannot naturalize, become Americans, until you got your own Green Card. If they do, you fall into the F3 family preference category, and waiting time for that is about 11-1/2 years.

    Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.
  • 12 months ago

    Only one petition at a time. IF your parents file a petition, your brother withdraws his. You fail to state your citizenship. Or your marital status. IF you are or ever have been married, your parents must become US citizens before they can file any petition for you. You also fail to state your Priority Date - the date your brother's petition was approved for processing, and that would be at least several months after filing, possibly a couple of years after filing.

    For siblings, over the past year it has been taking 13-15 years for sibling petitions on behalf of citizens of most countries. It can be as long as 23 yrs, depending on your citizenship. For parents with green cards petitioning for adult child, it currently takes 6-22 years for Priority Date to become current, depending on your citizenship.

    Who is going to be in position to meet earnings requirements for the Affidavit of Support you for at least 10 years beyond your date of arrival on immigration visa? Are your parents going to continue working & earning enough for up to @ 35 years? If they are not working, earning enough when Priority Date becomes current, there goes your petition.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.