Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCredit · 6 months ago

What can happen if someone keep a repossessed car?

I purchased a car in my girlfriend’s name and since I have had nothing but problems with it, I stopped making the payments. They have been trying to repossess it, but I have it in my garage so they can’t get it. The repo man stalks us and occasionally come on my property and look through the window of my garage. I have placed another car in front of my garage in my driveway in case he gets any stupid ideas of breaking in. I have also blocked the window so he can no longer see inside. I have decided to sell it for parts now. The engine and transmission work fine, and the engine is 7k used and the transmission is 3k. I think I can sell all the parts and walk away with 20k and she will just have to take the hit on her credit.

I love these trolls WHO structure stories.

She's already taken successful on her credit. currently you are talking concerning criminal activity. you do not own this automotive. The bank will. you have got zero right to sell it. it's larceny. Expect the police to be concerned, you to be inactive, and her still owe the money.

Sooner of later you will either take it off the property or leave the garage door open. When that happens we will get it.

• Who

some maths for you to learn

anonymity+ stupid story = bullsh//t

• Bill

First off, you are making this up for cheap entertainment.

Secondly, to answer your questions:

She does not own the car. The lien holder was on the title all along because they own the car. When the loan is paid off the lien holder signs off on the title to the new owner, in this case your girlfriend. But since the loan is not paid off, she will not get the title and the owner has the legal right to possession.

Read the contract she signed when she took out the loan. She violated the terms by not paying and the lien holder has the right to take the property back. All she has is possession, possession of a car she does not own. The lien holder has the legal right to take her to court to force the release of the car; they may or may not take that step. If she refuses, she could be held in contempt of court and I don't think she really wants that.

You have no rights here. Seeing all or part of a car owned by someone else is theft.

• DEBS

I love these trolls who make up stories.

She's already taken a hit on her credit. Now you're talking about criminal activity. You don't own this car. The bank does. You have zero right to sell it. It is grand theft. Expect the police to be involved, you to be arrested, and her still owe the money.

• .

You're not much of a boyfriend if you think making your girlfriend "take a hit on her credit" is the right thing to do. The repo man knows the car is in your garage. Give back the car.

Since it’s not your car to sell, you can be arrested for theft.

It’s not like the lender is just going to give up and walk away. Even if they can’t repossess the car, they can still sue your girlfriend and have her wages garnished.

So, you end up in jail and she ends up with ruined credit and the court taking a chunk of her paycheck.

She won't just have to take the hit on her credit. She will still have to pay the money she owes them -- even if they have to go to court and sue her -- and she will still have the hit on her credit, because paying doesn't remove it.

You can't sell it, because you don't own it. It's in her name, which means that only she can sell it.

• Nuff Sed

... "in her name", not to mention the lien on the title by the lender.

If you can make that much on the parts, then sell them and pay it off.

Being charged with grand theft auto which is a felony comes to mind and ruined credit.