Henry asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 months ago

Free/Cheap Antivirus Software?

Hey guys, have a question about antivirus software.

I've been using Mcafee for the last couple of years but it's really expensive and I was wondering whether there were any cheaper alternatives out there that offer the same protection. I also know you can download free antivirus software, but I don't know how safe or reliable such software would be. I don't really know a lot about this kind of stuff so I would appreciate any advice/insight!

Thanks in advance.

I would like to suggest Comodo Antivirus is the cheapest antivirus in the world. They provides complete protection security software at only $4.99/Year. If your get the protection software for 3 PCs then it would be $9.99/Year.

Windows Defender comes with Microsoft windows. Is free and is the least intrusive.

Windows Defender: it is free and good.

• Carroll9 months agoReport

Sorry but I don't trust Microsoft to keep Windows protected especially when you hear about Windows being hacked.

360 Total Security,ZoneAlarm,Avast,Avira,AVG,Bitdefender,Panda Dome,Kasperskyand Comodo Security all have free and paid versions.

• keerok

Avast free .

• Dick

Go to the CNET site download.com Once there in the search box, type in "Free Antivirus" and hit enter. A new page will appear and when you scroll down a bit you'll see a list of several Free Antivirus programs such as AVG, Avira, etc. etc. Check it out.

• David

If you are running windows 10 then the resident windows defender is fine for home users. If your are running windows 7 or 8 then windows defender is not secure as it is under windows 10 (it uses routines built into windows 10 for more effectiveness) and I would recommend a third party AV.

Any of the free versions AVG AVAST Bitdefender etc are good, apart from the "nag screens" trying to get you to upgrade to the paid version

Currently I use the paid version of Bitdefender which is reasonably priced

• Ron75

The free versions listed in an above post do a good job. If you have windows 10 then the version of defender that comes with it is all that you would need unless you go to a lot of questionable sites and then no anti virus can catch everything that is on some of those type sites.

Ron

• Enigma

Avast,Avira,AVG,Bitdefender,Panda Dome,Kaspersky,360 Total Security,ZoneAlarm,and Comodo Security all have free and paid versions.

Yeah, of course, you can use the Windows Defender that comes included with Windows 8 and 10. You'll likely find that performs a little better than McAfee too, as it's much less bloated.

Also, you can use free versions of antivirus software such Trend Micro, AVG, Avira, etc. The only cost of those free versions is that you'll have bit more nagging to get the paid versions, and ads from the AV company itself.