Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 12 months ago

Even though Tomatoes are considered a fruit, I always refer to them as vegetables? Do you also? Why or Why Not?

I have never heard of tomatoes put into a fruit salad with such fruits as apples, oranges, bananas, grapes, etc.

Seed contained within in the food is what defines the distinction between vegetables and fruits. Specifics to refer to them botanically is often confusing and can be obnoxious even if it’s true.

• Clive

You're only confused because words are used differently in biology and in cooking. In biology, a fruit is anything that contains seeds. Which tomatoes definitely do. So do cucumbers and peppers, and courgettes (zucchini) when they grow big enough to become marrows, and peas ARE the seeds of the plant.

The biological consideration is about how the plant reproduces. If this thing would produce new plants if it fell on the ground and the seeds start to grow, it's a fruit. And the trick a lot of plants have evolved to get themselves spread around wider is to make the fruit tasty, so animals will eat the fruit, hard seeds won't get digested, they come out again in the animal's poop, hopefully the animal poops somewhere else on some good soil, and bingo, new plants grow in a new place.

But in cooking, tomatoes aren't sweet things that you think of and use in the same way as other fruits, so they are considered to be vegetables. In cooking, it's all about how you USE them, not what they biologically ARE.

Consider rhubarb. What you eat is the thick leaf stems (absolutely not the leaves as they're poisonous) so that's not biologically a fruit. But you can eat It cooked in rhubarb crumble, in a fruit pie, it goes in German Rabarbakuchen (rhubarb cake)... it is very definitely a dessert ingredient so for cooking purposes it certainly belongs under the heading of fruit.

It's all about how we use words in what context. So this is a question of language, which isn't necessarily logical.

its considered a fruit botanically, not in cooking applications. Guess what, cucumbers, peppers, peas, green beans are also all fruits. Most anything with a seed inside it is a fruit.

Tomatoes are technically a fruit but almost always used as a vegetable or in savory dishes.

• denise

I use them as a salad vegetable or as an ingredient in a dish.

Also cucumbers are fruits too.

Yes, I do too. Tastes like a vegetable to me. I think of fruit as being sweet.

Agree that tomatoes are considered a fruit, but I also think most people generally refer to them as vegetables. people like what they like, and what they are called is not always important.

Tomatoes aren't “considered a fruit”, they ARE a fruit. I don't really “refer to them” as anything else but “tomatoes”. I don't think I've ever referred to them as a “vegetable”. Why? Because they're fruit.

No, I've never heard of tomatoes being included in a fruit salad either, but a fruit salad is a dish made from various different fruit, it's not a dish made from ALL fruits. I've never heard of limes, lemons, chillis, peppers, sloes, rose hips, courgettes or cucumbers being used in a fruit salad either.

Added, looking at the other answers it's alarming to see just how stupid some of you people are. I guess you're American?

When eating a fruit the seed is often discarded, while the seed is often the part eaten in a vegetable. There are is also the group of foods there the leaves are eaten and called a vegetable.

So I don't consider a tomato a fruit because I eat the seeds.

• Anton

"Vegetable" is anything made from a plant.

In food, grains, nuts and fruits are not considered vegetables.

In biology, fruits are seed cases.

In food, fruits are sweet.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, etc., are NOT sweet, and are thus NOT "fruits."

A strawberries are sweet, and are considered to be fruits.

Strawberries are swollen stems, not biologically fruits.

When talking about food, tomatoes are vegetables.

People that claim tomatoes are fruits are fruit cases.