How many drives should you have in a custom gaming computer?

I am making a custom gaming and work-related computer. There will be a total of three hard drives but I am not sure if that is a lot or what. My plans are to video edit for homework and work, and also stream games on it. So here is the list of hard drives I will have:

A Samsung 860 Evo (500Gb) 2.5' SSD for my startup drive!

A Samsung 970 Evo (1Tb) M.2 Solid State Drive for my games!

A Toshiba X300 (5Tb) 3.5' 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive for all my videos and pictures for editing.

I will a provide a full spec. sheet for my custom computer:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DYDZ4q

Are these good enough for streaming a game and just doing work/homework? Thanks!

• Fulano

It just depends on what you need. Some things to consider though:

A fast drive for booting and games is very useful but they don't need to be separate. I'd save the money and just get one drive to install both the games and the OS on it. Then if you need more space later you can buy a 2nd drive to install more games on. I can't imagine someone needing more than 1 TB to install the OS and games though.

You NEED a backup if you have anything important stored on the computer because most drives fail without warning. The easiest is just getting a large cheap drive installed in your computer and using File History to make backups to it. It's recommended to have a 2nd backup in a separate location, like a NAS, or an online service if you don't want to loose those files. Things like randomware or power surges can take out all the information you've got in your computer.

It all depends on what _you_ want to do or need. But since you asked...

I would assume (since you mentioned gaming machine) that this system will (have to) run under Windows. If you don't want to jump through Microsoft's hoops, all programs will have to reside on your boot drive. Add to that that you will always have to download any game from some online service, and your game license will only be useable as long as that online service still exists, I don't see the need for a large drive for gaming.

As for work related stuff - if by "work" you mean "I earn money with it" or "I need it for my education", then I would strongly suggest you investigate the various backup strategies, which then should be an integral part of your hardware setup.

So my suggestion (eventually, what I plan to build q1 2020 - or whenever Intel fnally manages to sell a decent desktop CPU again) would be to have only that 1 TB m.2 SSD in the computer, and your data dump (together with a first level backup) on an external RAID NAS (updated every 14 hours). A second level backup could then be a couple of HDDs in a hot swap cage (updated/swapped once a week), a third level an online backup service.

The advantage of that NAS can be (some systems have that kind of service included) that you can run it not only as a local file server, but also access it from anywhere else. Double edged, for sure.

Storage is storage. When you get low, you simply add more. The speed of the SSD's can speed up the process of adding new data to RAM, but RAM is what your CPU runs on because it is much faster than an SSD. The drives don't even have to be internal. We have several computers in our home network and sometimes we bounce data across the network to other computers that have greater storage capacities. Your 5Tn drive should be more than plenty, but if you keep adding videos, it could potentially fill up down the road, where all you do is add another drive. I do videos and I began with a 2Tb hard drive that lasted quite a while before I had to add another 2Tb drive and eventually another for a total of 6Tb that has lasted me over a decade.