I have a 10 year old Shih Tzu male that they think has a disc problem. How far would you go?
AND YES I TOOK HIM TO A VET!!! He was put on pain meds and anti-inflammatory, and must be inactive for 4 weeks, he's improving after 4 days. But IF it affected his hind legs so he couldn't walk would you do the wheel carriage thing and diaper thing if he had incontinence. My wife and me have decided if it comes to that we will put him down.
- J CLv 79 months agoFavorite Answer
How far would I go? I would go with a consultation with an orthopedic specialist, to see if there are any surgical alternatives. This is out of the expertise of your regular vet. See what happens after the rest and medication, and if there is no improvement have the vet refer you to a specialist. You need to take all records including x-rays, and that gets you about an hour long consult with someone who does these types of surgeries, etc. It runs about $150 but it's well worth the money. Right now you are jumping ahead and making decisions that rely on either getting a cart, or putting him down. There may be several other alternatives - so check them all out with the specialist. This way you would be making an informed decision, and not one made in the heat of the moment.
- 9 months ago
If you have the proper funds and resources, what you should really be focusing on is the quality of the dog's life. Is he in pain all the time? Does he struggle to get around even with assistance? What is his typical daily routine? Does he mostly just sleep a lot? Then there is the medical side of it. Will he need many procedures to enable him to continue functioning properly? If so, will these procedures be overly wearisome or painful for him? At this point, it's really about what would be the least uncomfortable for your dog in the long run and if it is really worth it.
- Star_of_DarknessLv 79 months ago
I would have it put down. There's no way I'd have a dog that pisses in the house and diapers are not only expensive they are very unsanitary for the dog and human
Pet carts are extremely expensive as well
Since the dog is a working dog, if he can't do his job then there's no point for me to have the dog. In your case you would be keeping the dog alive for YOUR befit. Putting the dog down will be n the dogs best interest if it can't walk
- MaxiLv 79 months ago
I would make the decision along with the vet, however as much as I love my dogs it would be a difficult decision to make however I think I woud opt for PTS as it is no easy way to live with a 'disabled' dog, I have lived in a home with a dog like this and the additional work created, the smell and seeing the dog struggle did nothing for my mental health....at least you and your wife are on the same page and fingers crossed your pup will pull through and you won't have to make that difficult decison
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Jack HLv 79 months ago
I think you have made the right decision, often people keep their pets alive for the persons benefit, not the pets...
- Verulam 1Lv 79 months ago
If you live in the UK and have either the funds or insurance, have you considered asking to be referred to Noel Fitzpatrick. He deals with disc problems regularly (too often!!) and should be able to at least give you an accurate diagnosis and prognosis re your dog. He may also feel it's too old now to be doing this - but he WILL tell you if he considers that is the case. Yes you could use a K9Cart and diapers, but that won't keep him out of pain. We had a hound with spondylitis and he went off his back legs although he still had feeling there. We tried him on a Cart, but he'd not have anything to do with it. Eventually with the right pain meds, and time, he walked again. But that wasn't a confirmed 'disc' problem.
I'd not go with 'they think' when having to make a decision going forward. You need a definite diagnosis.