Ashley asked in PetsDogs · 6 months ago

What's wrong with my dog!?

There were no warning signs..I was just about falling asleep around midnight. My 12 year old Beagle suddenly yelled beside me. I quickly moved over to check on her. I lifted up her head very gently to see if it was causing her pain amd she began yellping. I put her head back down and stopped her from moving until she coild lift her head herself. I called my mom at work but no answer...i only have her cell number not the work number. She was fine after that. She was walking around eating amd drinking no problems at all. Around 2 i felt it was safe to go back to asleep. An hour later she jolted me awake by yelping....this time she couldn't movw her head or get up for abouy half an hour. She would try yo get up but lye right back down. Then she manged to get off my hed and drink. I decided it best to move into the living room so she could sleep on the floor on her dog bed instead of high up on my bed. Ive called my mom a bunch of times but no luck and i have no way to get her to the vet. My mom has thr car and I can't drive i have no money for a taci either. I dont own a creditcard and my mom has hers with her. The dog is sleeping right now looks like shes breathing okay. Still seems sore. I read about infected dew claws and my dog still has hers on one paw and she did let out a yelp a few minutes ago when i lifted that paw. He pain seemed to be more in her neck thought both times she woke up yelping

• Amber

It could have just been cramp. My dog screams murder when she gets it. Just keep a very close eye on her. If it's late the vets will only be open for emergencies.

• Casey

It isn't much you can do ATM. try to keep her still and not moving around too much as it could cause more damage. As some of the others have said, it sounds like a disc issue. Very common in beagles. They will eval her ability to move and what triggers the pain and may send her home with some pain meds and rest orders to start and see how she responds. Unfortunately, it MAY require spinal surgery. But in many cases, recovery isn't too terrible. a few months and some physical therapy, though depends on the exact back issue of course.

Have your mom take her to the nearest emergency vet asap

• Edwena

Your dog is getting old and has degenerative disease, probably of the bones. In the spine and hips. These are the signs that the decline has started. One day, she will lay down and not get up because the pain to too much. When that happens take her to the vet and have her euthanized. Now, there are medications that the vet has that might help, but it will only delay the inevitable.

My guess from the yelping and seeming & partial or temporary paralysis, is some type of disc herniation, in the neck or spine. Allowing small breeds to JUMP off and on furniture (repeatedly) often leads to such injuries, over time. See an emergency vet, today ASAP. Severe kidney or bladder stones are another possibility since bad kidney problems can IMPAIR locomotion function, but do not cause complete paralysis.

• J C

No one knows, but is more than just an infected dew claw. The dog needs a vet - and the emergency vet - as soon as you can get in touch with your Mom. It could be a disk issue, it could be a seizure, but I can tell you it's serious. Stop moving him around - if it is a disk issue, you may be making it worse and will be causing him a lot of pain.

Ask a qualified vet

• PR

Since the dog had trouble moving her head, maybe it is in the back or neck. Do you know the name of the place your Mom works? Can you look that up for a phone number? It sounds like you have done the best thing under the circumstances in moving the dog to her own bed on the floor. Watch her until your Mom is home, or call a relative.

Or, try texting your Mom.

Can you ask for assistance to the vet from a Friend, Neighbor, relative, and if needed to hitch hike. GET HER TO THE VET asap.

I think this might be to do with her spine (disc problem). When a disc blows, it's very painful. However, you won't find an accurate diagnosis on here - you need to be able to get to your vet.

Do you have another relative or even a close neighbour who, despite the late hour, could get you veterinary help? Otherwise you'll just have to keep her as immobile as possible, until you can get her properly assessed.

We can only guess and although she's not old-old for the breed, anything might have happened to cause this - don't pull her around any more.

Add - There is NO NEED to hit the TD button on my answer - I, like everybody else on here, can only offer their own thoughts - guesses, as said. The TD button is not for anything else - only usually for something that is DEFINITELY INCORRECT. Note I've used the word 'might'.

• Amber

It just says in guidelines if information is incorrect or you disagree. Don't see the point of them myself, when there is a comment section. It's also silly to allow people to rate their own answer!

Sometimes pain in your body can be linked to your head and where pain is in your head it's connected to your eyes, nose, mouth, ears, etc. The pain may have been tolerated by him for a while but it's just now getting severe where he's sleeping and gets surprised by it in his sleep. The pain may be getting to his head giving him a headache or an ear ache whereas ear aches often hurt a little then have sudden jolts of pain every once in a while. I'd take him to a vet as soon as you can but I'm assuming it's still night time where everything's closed and such. Whenever you can, just get him to a vet. He's most likely in a lot of pain, I'd keep him in bed or keep him in your lap and comfort him until then.

• Ashley6 months agoReport

Okay thank you. I already have plans on taking her to the vet first thing. Its almost 5 now and my mom gets home around 7. I will give my dogs lots of comfort and water till my mom gets home.