promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 9 months ago

What can I do when people would rather stare at phone than talk?

Do I even try? I’ve been trying to talk to new people to make new friends but am rejected as people want to stare at phones!

Im female 50.

This in in social or semi social situations.

Im polite and not rude.

We are truly f...d as humans if this is the situation now

In 10 yrs time we wont talk at all.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • TC
    Lv 4
    9 months ago

Ignore people who aren't interested in face-to-face social interaction.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

They probably like talking about themselves, just ask questions about themselves and they'll light up.

• 9 months ago

Politely say, "You are busy, so I will leave you to your task." This lets them know that you are interested in talking to them, but feel uncomfortable competing with the smartphone for their attention.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

They're avoiding social interaction. If they weren't staring at phones, they'd be staring at books or magazines or listening to music. They're trying to get some downtime, or relax, or just avoid interaction. They may be introverts, they may have social anxiety, or they may simply have had bad experience with random strangers who strike up conversations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • edward
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Texting is a lot slower than talking but i can do both, i can text someone else and talk to you at the same time

• 9 months ago

just do what everyone else is doing if you want to talk to them, just give them a call. i dont have a lot of friends myself

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Often phones are an escape or “crutch”. People will look to their cellphones to avoid awakard conversations or maybe even for material to talk about. Not everyone uses their phone when engaging in conversations

• 9 months ago

yes quite sad actually how the cell phone seems to be the center of peoples universe. Keep lookin for people who are not glued to their cell phones. They are out there.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.