promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 10 months ago

What is the net ionic equation?

MnCl2 + HCl -->

Update:

The reactants are the same as the products, so I don't know what to do. Does it change the usual process?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Net ionic equation.....

You write, "no reaction."

MnCl2 + HCl --> no reaction

Since there is no reaction, there is no chemical equation, and no ionic or net ionic equation.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 months ago

I cannot see any reaction between MnCl2 + HCl

If, as you say, The products are the same as the reactants - then ther has been no reaction

No reaction - no equation such as a net ionic equation is possible.

There is a well known reaction , carried out in school laboratories, for the production of chlorine:

I wonder if you mean this reaction

MnO2(s) + 4HCl(aq) → MnCl2(aq) + Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l)

Now you can write an ionic equation and a net ionic equation:

Ionic equation:

MnO2(s) + 4H+(aq) + 4Cl-(aq) → Mn2+(aq) +2Cl-(aq) + Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l)

Now write the net ionic equation:

Inspect the above ionic equation. Delete everything that is identical on both sides of the → . In this case 2Cl- What is left is the net ionic equation:

MnO2(s) + 4H+(aq) +2Cl- (aq) → Mn+ + Cl2(g) + 2H2O(l)

• Jim
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

There are three steps to writing a net ionic equation:

Balance the chemical equation.

Write the equation in terms of all of the ions in the solution. In other words, break all of the strong electrolytes into the ions they form in aqueous solution. Make sure to indicate the formula and charge of each ion, use coefficients (numbers in front of a species) to indicate the quantity of each ion, and write (aq) after each ion to indicate it's in aqueous solution.

In the net ionic equation, all species with (s), (l), and (g) will be unchanged. Any (aq) that remain on both sides of the equation (reactants and products) can be cancelled out. These are called "spectator ions" and they don't participate in the reaction.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.