PS3 Blinking Red Light But Able To Bypass Using Fan Trick?

It's a fat PS3 either 60gb or 80gb model. I brought this used and have only been using it for four months. I don't have a jeweler's screwdriver so I took it to UBreakIFix and requesting cleaning the unit and reapplying thermal paste. I brought my original PS3 slim 320gb to them eight months ago and... show more It's a fat PS3 either 60gb or 80gb model. I brought this used and have only been using it for four months.

I don't have a jeweler's screwdriver so I took it to UBreakIFix and requesting cleaning the unit and reapplying thermal paste. I brought my original PS3 slim 320gb to them eight months ago and they suggested replacing power supply. They recommend the exact same thing which leads me to believe they don't really know what they're doing.

The person I gave my PS3 to at the counter said it happened to his and by simply removing and reinserting the hard drive he fixed the issue, he didn't actually work on my PS3 though.

Before I brought my PS3 to them I was able to bypass the issue by turning the PS3 completely off, holding eject, and running the fan. Doing this seems to immediately fix the problem.

My PS3 has never turned off during a game, I plan on ordering a flash drive to backup my hard drive and saves. Before I power off my PS3 I eject the disc and flip the power button after the system turns off. I haven't timed the PS3 to see how long after powering off the red lights starts flashing but I'm thinking it happens 30 minutes to a few hours afterwards.

I feel like I might be wasting my time with buying another PS3 if this issue just keeps coming up. My other PS3 was purchased through Gamestop and had no issues until I didn't use it for six months and had it sitting in a box an radio-controlled storage unit.

Recommendations?
0