Nancy asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 11 months ago

Should I meet with my ex-boyfriend to discuss our child?

I have an ex-boyfriend that I broke up with 10 years ago. We share an 18-year-old son who splits time with both of us. Lately, he has been having problems with our son and talked to me about it over the phone. My son was going to go on a trip with his son and he wanted to meet me in person. He is being very persistent in discussing the problems with me face to face. I am a little wary because he has not asked me to meet in person in about 6 years. Is it possible he is trying to serve me with something or maybe something else?

Favorite Answer

You can always have the meeting in restaurant or a starbucks. I would not have it be at one of your houses unless there were many people present. Plus you can take a long a witness or even your current significant other if it applies. As someone said, your son is a legal adult now.

It is most essential to talk it over with your ex regarding your son. It's possible that he's trying to serve you with actions that might confuse you or cause you to ask questions inside your head.

thats up to you if you want to meet with him or not, maybe he wants to get back with you

• Anna

Pearl they have a son together. They can meet up to discuss him that's it. My parents are divorced and have met up to discuss me and my brother doesn't mean they're getting back together.

• Foofa

He wouldn’t need to meet with you to have a subpoena served. So assume this is about your kid and do the responsible thing by meeting him. You chose to make a human with this guy and thus forfeited your right to never see him again.

• PAMELA

Possibly, just say you do not want to meet, your child is an adult, you do not need to discuss him with anyone.

How can he serve you with something? Being served is something that happens professionally. A court appointed person would be the one to deliver papers to you, not an ex boyfriend. And your son is legally an adult. What on earth would he be serving you? If you really havent seen him in this long and now all of a sudden he needs to speak with you in person, it might be something serious. He says it's about your son. Wouldnt you want to find out? Surely you can be adults about this? If it ends up not being about your son then just leave. You have no ties to him. You arenr married and your son isnt a child anymore. Walk away if its nothing worth while to listen to.