Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsWeather · 9 months ago

Why does dry cold feel so much colder than humid cold?

So I recently moved from Texas to Colorado, and I've noticed the the temperatures here feels much colder than the same temperatures in Texas. I'm sitting outside right now and its 50 degrees Fahrenheit, but feels like below freezing back in Texas. Is there a scientific reason why dryness makes it feel so much colder?

What is the wind speed AND the relative humidity? Us usually high humidity (75% or more) feels a lot colder with 20 mile per hour or higher feels a lot colder than low humidity. I grew up in greater New Orleans where the humidity is usually 90% or higher AND the Oklahoma panhandle, which is semi arid. In central OK, where I've lived more than half my life, I've seen the temperature drop almost 60 degrees F in less than a half hour an 25 degrees F in the same amount of time in New Orleans. The wind speed was higher in OK. .

In all three areas," If you don't like the weather, wait a minute" is true. Try the with tunnel on Common or Gravier St. In the Central Business District of New Orleans when a cold front comes through .

Having lived my entire life in cold climates, I would argue that the exact opposite is true based on my experiences. Damp cold is the absolute worst. I would rather be outside in -10C in dry than outside in +4C in rain, or even fog or extreme damp. Water (whether as vapor or liquid) sucks heat. It is deadly, not just unpleasant.

I think you have this a bit backward, what we call heat index, what temperatures feel like, is a function of humidity, and lower humidities more closely match what feels like temperatures do. Wind chill plays a part also.

Texas is far from arid, especially in gulf coast regions, actually tropical.

Colorado is not quite arid either other than some regions south like 4 corners.

Your altitude effects this also. Denver at 50 degrees will feel colder than Shiprock by quite a bit.

I've always found the opposite to be true.