Crutches with osteoporosis and arthritis - How to guard against wrist damage? Any safe wrist strengthening exercises?

My mom s just had her leg casted for a broken ankle. She s got an iron will and works full time, but she s 63 and her osteoporosis is severe enough that chiropractors haven t been willing to see her since she was 50 (She d go for neck problems). Between the fact that wrist injuries are the most common complication of crutches, the preexisting fragility of her joints, and her returning to work on Monday, I m concerned she s at high risk of subsequent injury. She s the regional trainer for a shoestore chain, so she ll be on her feet 8+ hours a day navigating store fronts and stock rooms and such.

I ve made sure her crutches are the correct height and she knows the proper technique, but is there anything more that could mitigate risk? Such as wrist-strengthening exercises that wouldn t aggrevate her arthritis? Her other ankle is already very sore from overcompensating after one day.

Enormously grateful for any advice. She already gets home aching and exhausted. I m terrified this added strain could have cascading consequences.

I know a lady who is in her 70's and had osteopenia in her hip, and osteoporosis in her back. She started taking minerals supplements that contained all the essential nutrients that the body requires to build bone matrix. After 3 months she went back to her doctor who tolde her that the osteopenia was gone from her hip. Her bone density was normal there, and he said her back was improving. This is what she was taking - https://102128715.youngevity.com/us_en/health-nutr...

• my4

Get her a knee scooter

• Tavy

Are you trying to say that she is returning to work with her leg in a cast ??? No way should she be doing this, she has to keep her leg elevated for part of the day to reduce swelling. Cannot see her employers allowing it due to insurance reasons, She is unstable on her feet and could fall.