Crutches with osteoporosis and arthritis - How to guard against wrist damage? Any safe wrist strengthening exercises?

My mom s just had her leg casted for a broken ankle. She s got an iron will and works full time, but she s 63 and her osteoporosis is severe enough that chiropractors haven t been willing to see her since she was 50 (She d go for neck problems). Between the fact that wrist injuries are the most common complication... show more My mom s just had her leg casted for a broken ankle. She s got an iron will and works full time, but she s 63 and her osteoporosis is severe enough that chiropractors haven t been willing to see her since she was 50 (She d go for neck problems). Between the fact that wrist injuries are the most common complication of crutches, the preexisting fragility of her joints, and her returning to work on Monday, I m concerned she s at high risk of subsequent injury. She s the regional trainer for a shoestore chain, so she ll be on her feet 8+ hours a day navigating store fronts and stock rooms and such.

I ve made sure her crutches are the correct height and she knows the proper technique, but is there anything more that could mitigate risk? Such as wrist-strengthening exercises that wouldn t aggrevate her arthritis? Her other ankle is already very sore from overcompensating after one day.

Enormously grateful for any advice. She already gets home aching and exhausted. I m terrified this added strain could have cascading consequences.