promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 10 months ago

Can a 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel pull a fifth wheel travel trailer?

Just curious I’ve been looking at trucks because I’m saving up to buy a travel trailer and my short bed Chevy 1500 work truck just ain’t gonna do it lol. I might buy this one ‘07 Dodge Ram 2500 with 150k miles with one owner and a clean title in great condition. My dad says I don’t know what I’m doing and I kinda need a third opinion I guess.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    10 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A lot depends on what condition the truck is in. A properly equipped 2007 Ram 2500 with the Cummins turbo-diesel engine was factory rated to tow a trailer up to 17,500 lbs, which is much bigger than MOST travel trailers sold in the USA. 150,000 miles on a Cummins engine isn't a big deal, but the rest of the driveline and suspension is still just a 3/4 ton pickup truck. If it is properly serviced and maintained, I'd say it's probably good for at least another 100k miles.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 months ago

I use a 95 with 190K to pull a 27ft fifth wheel. No problems yet. The motor is a little different, being a 12V, but the suspension and drive train should only be better.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

That's awfully high mileage on an older truck to be pulling a trailer. Think carefully.

• Anonymous
    10 months ago

What is the rated towing capacity? What is the weight of the 5th wheel you want to haul?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.