Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesDodge · 10 months ago

Can a 2002-2008 Dodge Ram 2500 turbo diesel pull a fifth wheel travel trailer?

Just curious I’ve been looking at trucks because I’m saving up to buy a travel trailer and my short bed Chevy 1500 work truck just ain’t gonna do it lol. I might buy this one ‘07 Dodge Ram 2500 with 150k miles with one owner and a clean title in great condition. My dad says I don’t know what I’m doing and I kinda need a third opinion I guess.

• JetDoc
    Favorite Answer

A lot depends on what condition the truck is in. A properly equipped 2007 Ram 2500 with the Cummins turbo-diesel engine was factory rated to tow a trailer up to 17,500 lbs, which is much bigger than MOST travel trailers sold in the USA. 150,000 miles on a Cummins engine isn't a big deal, but the rest of the driveline and suspension is still just a 3/4 ton pickup truck. If it is properly serviced and maintained, I'd say it's probably good for at least another 100k miles.

I use a 95 with 190K to pull a 27ft fifth wheel. No problems yet. The motor is a little different, being a 12V, but the suspension and drive train should only be better.

• audrey

That's awfully high mileage on an older truck to be pulling a trailer. Think carefully.

What is the rated towing capacity? What is the weight of the 5th wheel you want to haul?