? asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 11 months ago

I feel like my mom always tries to rub other people’s talent in my face?

I’ve been learning to sing for over a year and I just started learning how to dance etc. My mom rarely ever praises me for my talents or says I’m doing good. Which is fine, it doesn’t matter. But what does matter to me is when she listens to other kids sing or watches them dance, and then rants and raves about them to me. Saying how great THEY are. I admit, I do have jealousy problems, and my mom knows that. She knows I’m sensitive when she raves about other kids, because it makes me feel less. I can admit when other kids are talented, and I can be proud of other kids. It’s just when I never get praise from my mom like that, but she’s so willing to give kids she barely knows praise and support. It just kinda sucks I guess. And it almost feels like she’s trying to rub it in or something. I know I’m good at what I do. But it can be really discouraging when my mom acts like this towards other kids and not me also. I don’t know how to deal with this. I would just like some advice I guess

• tony
    Favorite Answer

It’s hard to accept that you have a mom who is critical, whom you can’t please no matter what you do. After all, we yearn for and crave love, acceptance, and support from our mothers. Our mothers are our first relationships, and in some ways our most important! They give us life physically, emotionally, spiritually, and socially.

Accepting your mom for who she is doesn’t mean you condone her behavior, nor does it give her license to treat you like dirt. Rather, it frees you from fighting against reality, from resenting a woman who can’t or won’t change.focus on creating a self-image that doesn’t depend on what your mother thinks, says, or does.

maybe you should talk to your mom about it and tell her what you just told us