How much should I feed my new snake?

I have recently adopted a ball python. Her previous owners did not know exactly how to care for her so after a year of having her they gave it away to me for free, along with her tank and substrate and everything. I have owned a snake before but never a ball python but I’ve done my research and know how to care for... show more I have recently adopted a ball python. Her previous owners did not know exactly how to care for her so after a year of having her they gave it away to me for free, along with her tank and substrate and everything. I have owned a snake before but never a ball python but I’ve done my research and know how to care for her. She is slightly underweight. So on a scale of 1 to 9 she would be a 4 if not a 3.5. She is about half a meter long (50cm/23 inches). Again, female ball python, approximately one year old and slightly underweight. I haven’t been able to find adequate information on exactly how much to feed her and how big the frozen mice have to be.
(Although this is not the big question I would like to inquire about picking up the snake when she is defensive. I know that the reason for this is because she hasn’t been handled as much in her previous home, and that in order to get her better I’d have to handle her more. But I’m not sure how to pick her up when she isn’t in a ball. Any tips for picking her up without getting a bite?)