Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 6 months ago

Has constant smartphone use decreased the amount of time most people spend reading books, nowadays.....?

• audrey
    Favorite Answer

Sadly, yes. I used to read at least 2 books a month. Now I read zero books a month. 😡

For some, yes, the distractions available on a smartphone mean they read less--but as already noted, these people were unlikely to be big readers in the first place. People who love reading are still reading despite phones.

And because of phones. My two daughters read voraciously, one on a daily commute using Audible through her cell phone, the other on her phone while her husband watches TV next to her. I don't think either of them buys physical books any more, but they're both reading as much as ever, maybe even more.

Probably for many people but not for me.

• Andrew

It's decreased the amount of time people who stare at their smartphones all day spend reading, but then again, what percentage of those people were ever big readers to begin with?

• Logan

Nah, people now read books with their smart phones. If anything it's probably made more people read because it's more accessible and easier to find what you want to read about. Also, you just gotta download a book now, you don't have to find the time to go shopping for a few and what not.

• Athena

The amount of time people spent reading books has been on the decline for the last 70 years.