Alex asked in PetsFish · 6 months ago

Making raised platforms in aquarium out of rocks and silicone?

Alright, so I don't believe I've ever seen anyone do something like this? (If you know someone who has or have done it yourself please let me see? :D) I really want to make some elevated levels in my 55 gallon aquarium. My idea is to take rocks (they're all about 1-2inches long), and "glue" them together with aquarium silicone (black, because my rocks, and substrate are black). The walls would be about 6-8 inches tall and about 12 inches wide. They would have to support sand pushing against it as well, does anyone think it can be done? I can add big rocks on either side (then cover them with sand) to add extra support? Also, I'd silicone it to the sides and bottom for extra stability! :)

Not a bad idea just be sure not to overload the weight too much where you have to worry about alot of stress on the glass, though i doubt that would be an issue you'd almost have to be gluing whole boulders together

Go for it lolololololol just need 15 letter

• Jack H

It will work, I was doing just that with mbuna thirty years ago. Make sure you have some *padding* at the bottom of the stacks though, I used thin expanded polystyrene in glass tanks...

I've stacked tanks all the way to the waterline

It's not easy to get it to look good, so practice a few times before you start glueing

In my tank, I took some slate rock that was triangular "sort of" on both sides of the tank. They are balanched on Sturdy glass candle sticks allowing for a ten inch hiding space underneath. and a platfor on top were I alternate decorations or plants. No glue required, just carefully chosen, clean glass with a solid sturdy top and bottom.

I am not getting a clear idea of how you want to do yours, sorry.

No. I think you are depending on the silicone too much. Get thin flat rocks and stack them with other rocks. The silicone will not be defying gravity, but you can use it to keep it together. I think it is a good idea.