Anonymous

Which career path would you choose if you were me?

So I’m 19 and welding at a place for $16 hr, which is very good for this small town I’m in and over double minimum wage here. Some guy at my work who got fired for constantly calling in my went to work for Walmart dc and makes $18. I feel in the end welding is more of a career and can take me farther in life with the experience. I’m just afraid of making the wrong choice and living paycheck to paycheck the rest of my life

You are "hearing" that he makes $18.00 an hour. This is extremely unlikely and you are listening to gossip. Small town Wal-Marts don't pay that much. Go ask the manager.

You are in a skilled trade (and this is a good thing) but you are young and your pay will increase. The other thing to look at is if your company is too small to pay you what you are worth. That happens in small towns too. There is no rule that you can't look for a better paying welding job while working full time. Get your resume out there on the employment sites like Indeed or Careerbuilder and see what the response is.

• You don't want to work in retail, been there done that. It may pay better but it's also hard work, some times dealing with rude people, also you often get treated like crap by managers and even co workers, you're on your feet for long periods of time and you will most likely be trained to go on a cash register. He may get more money then you but you don't know how many hours he's getting per week. If he's part time then that could be any where from 4-25 hrs a week.

I make just over $16 per hr doing ware house work. I will never go back to retail unless I'm desperate for a job. I wouldn't consider working in retail to be a career, it's often a dead end job if there's no room to move up. Try to get a better paying welding job if you still enjoy doing that.

• August

Your choice but take into account all the health and safety aspects of welding and then compare it with a position at Walmart. Whats stopping you carrying on as a welder and go into store work when you get older

We cannot decide for you. Welding is satisfying work, but easy to get hurt (but the big bucks potential is there). WalMart cashiering is boring and hard on the feet - but people who climb up to manager can make over $100,000. Do you get good benefits as a welder? What is the commute time to welding vs Walmart?

Working at Wal-Mart is not a career...lol, just keep your current welding job.

• Will

Find a better welding job is all I can say, even if it means you need to move to another state. I used to weld, but quit due to no one having ventilation or curtains to block UV rays. Pay was also an issue. The average pay I had was $14.

I wouldn't actually quit welding to work at a store. I would want to be better than that and have an actual career instead of being a lazy *** and working a job that requires no talent or skill. You could hop over to the trucking industry like I did. I would not do OTR/long hauls though because they are feeling the hurt from the trade war. Instead, get a job as a garbage truck driver. That industry isn't gonna disappear anytime soon and you'll likely hit max pay by the age of 35 or 40.