Will China kill thousands in Hong Kong like they did during the 1989 Tienanmen Square protests?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Jon
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Probably not....everyone has cameras, now.

The military shooting peeps in the back and crushing

them with tanks is just so unsightly.

Bad for tourism and might scare off Big Investors.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Let's pray not, but that is the typical answer to "protests" in Communist nations.

• 6 months ago

If they wish to do that they will suffer consequences world wide.

Today such consequences will affect China far more than they did after Tiananmen Square since they now have Far More to lose than they did then.

• 6 months ago

Hmmm. An explanation I've heard for the Tienanmen massacre was that Deng and other high officials had been persecuted during the Cultural Revolution so when they saw mass protests by young people they were fearful that history was repeating itself. Xi is of another generation and has a different mindset. On the other hand he is pretty authoritarian. My feeling is no, but it's just a feeling.

Anyway mass protests are hardly rare in modern China.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/chinas-hidden-protes...

I think if China's leaders thought that they could quell these daily mass protests with massacres then they would have been responding that way as a matter of course. Perhaps the leaders are afraid that overreacting would be counterproductive. History gives a lot of reasons for such a fear.

Update: oh apparently xi was persecuted in the cultural revolution too so what the hell do I know. Kind of weird because I often see him described as kind of a neo maoist.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 months ago

That would be cool. People getting run over by tanks is way better in real life than in the movies.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

The Brits messed up by trusting China to honor its agreements.

• sam
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Not likely................

• 6 months ago

China Officals: What Tienanmen Square protests?

• 6 months ago

Why not?

U.S. Liberals would be okay with this because of the tariffs on Chinese imports!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Who will criticize them? Italy pushes them into the sea, America has concentration camps full of families, Burma is a fine one to talk...

• ...Show all comments
    • Bro Jest
      Lv 5
      6 months agoReport

But I'll let the actual holocaust survivors speak for themselves.
      https://www.thedailybeast.com/holocaust-survivor-yes-the-border-detention-centers-are-like-concentration-camps
      https://www.newsweek.com/im-holocaust-survivor-trumps-america-feels-germany-nazis-took-over-876965

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.