Nicky asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 months ago

I'm filipino and would it be wise to learn Chinese mandarin?

My great great parents were chinese and I want to honor them. they came to the Philippines probably in the very late 1800's to conduct tradings. none in my family speaks Chinese and besides Mandarin language is very useful in business.

Favorite Answer

It will be useful in the global setting, so you will have both motivation and reward. Go for it.

• keerok

I won't call it wise. Even if you speak Chinese in the Philippines, you won't get favors in Divisoria. They'll know if you're really Chinese or not. Hanggang tawad ka lang siguro. It will depend even. I'm not sure what kind of Chinese is spoken there. Baka mali pa yung salita mo, mapasama ka pa. Learn just for the heck of it.

being wise has no correlation with your reasoning to want to learn mandarin

Chinese Filipinos usually speak Fukien if they speak Chinese at all. Fukien is the language spoken in Taiwan, so it is good for business too.

My Filipina sister-in-law speaks Fukien, which she learned in her family, But she speaks some Mandarin as well.

She works at an international airport shop so the more languages she can speak, the better.

Basically though, I advise that you choose the language that 1] You know somebody who will speak it with you and/or 2] You will have more use for.

I'd say if you want to talk to Chinese Filipinos, Fukien is better. But if you think Mandarin will be of more benefit to you, then that would be your choice.

You WILL need people to talk with, to help you master the pronunciation.

I used to work in a Chinese hospital. I think it would be awesome to speak Mandarin, but it seems like something that would be futile to attempt as an adult. It's mega complex. I think "horse" and "mother" are pronounced the same way ...except for a very subtle extension of the "ah" sound.