My friend was charged with threat of mass violence, second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property. Will he do jail time?

My friend was charged with second degree assault for assaulting his supervisor. He was also charged with threat of mass violence for telling everyone at work that he was going to come back and kill them, and he was charged with malicious destruction of property. I believe this is his first offense. He was charged in the state of Maryland and has no bail. Do you think he will get any jail time?

• xyzzy
    Favorite Answer

He will do time and a lot of it. Second Degree Felony Assault: This is punishable by up to 10 years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines. If a person commits a threat of mass violence in Maryland, it is a misdemeanor offense. Upon conviction, the offender can face up to 10 years in prison and $10,000 in criminal fines. Malicious destruction is a misdemeanor offense in Maryland. The maximum penalties for this crime depends on the value of the property damage. ... For damage equal to or greater than $500 the maximum penalty is three (3) years and/or a $2,500 fine.

• `

Let's put it this way, you might want a new "friend" since this one will be unavailable for a long time.

• Athena

Good friends you keep.

I'd watch your back if I were you.

Of course he will - prison, not jail. You call this violent loose cannon your friend?

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.

Hopefully he will, yes.

• John

Your friend may be in serious trouble. If you have been following the news in the aftermath of the recent mass shootings, you will know that police across the country have been arresting those who make mass murder threats.

It's a shame that Maryland doesn't have the death penalty. It's not that I *want* your friend to be killed by the state, but it's exciting helping someone pick out a last meal.

In this climate, you can bet your "friend" is going to get jail time for a charge of "threat if mass violence".

I certainly hope so. I hope he gets some counseling too. How are you going to feel if he DOES go back and shoot the place up?

Oh, he's getting years, not months.