promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 9 months ago

Car has power but not starting?

So I recently bought a new battery for my car. It's been driving fine for a few months. Today I turned the key got all the beeps and dash lights like normal, however when I turned to start it nothing happens. i dont hear anything it just doesnt crank. I havent tried jumping it.

Update:

I had drove it to the park in the morning, drove back home. I then went to a friends house and then came home again. Few hours later I got in to go to the store and that's when it decided to not start. It drove fine all day.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 months ago

IF the battery is NEW...and when you turn the key nothing happens, check in this order:

1. Jump start the car. If it starts fine, then its the battery, have it checked where you bought it. If it does not start when attempting jump starting it, do the following:

2. check Loose battery cables, dirty or corroded.

3. check for Burned fuses.

4. check Relays if they are bad or good, you can hear a "click" sound if the relay is working OK. You need to locate the starter relay.

5. If all that is GOOD, then it may be the starter motor.

Starter Motor:

a. corroded cables. (switch small cable, or bad contact on the big power cable coming from the battery)

b. bad solenoid

c. worn carbon contacts.

d. bad rotor.

e. bad stator.

If its the starter motor, let a mechanic check it out.

The first 5 things you can do it yourself if you watch youtube videos and be careful with electronics etc.

but the first thing to do in your case, is to try jump start, and check the battery cables are tight and clean.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

Your battery is WEAK "FOR SOME REASON"

Checking out your charging system is what I would do First. That lets you know what is at fault..(if it is not your driving habits) Then you either get the charging system working properly or the battery replaced from the same dudes you bought it from the last time.

A few months.? Then first ask yourself about your driving habits. Do you, once you start the car, take short trips(under 10 miles) and then shut off the car. Then start the car for the next short trip and shut off the car.(like a delivery service would do). - the starter motor is what takes a big "GULP" of power out of the battery.{you got to think of the battery as a Big cup of coffee} the bottomless cup where the waitress(alternator) continues to add to it. What is happening is you are taking more big gulps faster than the waitress comes around to add a bit more coffee. In fact you are emptying the cup(battery) and it is not getting refilled. You take out Gulps, and what is added is a bit more.

. If you drive that way, you effectively DRAIN THE BATTERY.

Dash lights are the tiny warning light bulbs that come on EVERY time you start the car. That is normal. That just shows all the warning devices are working. They are meant to stay off if the car is running NORMALLY. When a RED LIGHT COMES ON, you shut it down...be it the running engine, because a red light will either indicate a LACK OF OIL PRESSURE(meaning some driver did not pull the dipstick out to see if there was any oil in the oil pan. That is what the easy measuring tool is there to do. To let the DRIVER KNOW if the vehicle is ready to be driven anywhere.(or it has needs) . The driver is then to take the appropriate action and ADD oil to get the level correct FIRST.(before even starting the engine) That is 1 warning light. Another red light is BAT/orGEN/orALT(different makes of cars for different years have one or the other term written under the light...it all means the same thing. Which is: the charging system is NOT CHARGING THE BATTERY (usually this shows at idle speed on a vehicle that idles really slow) If this light pops ON while driving down the road or highway, you just broke the alternator belt & now the alternator is not turning or generating power to charge the battery.

You should be able to drive all day before draining the battery.

But, if you are not a delivery driver type, you actually do make trips over 10 miles at a time...then there is something wrong with the charging system. Carefully jump start the car and take it to a mechanic.

He has to check out the electrical. WalMart does an electrical check to see what is wrong. Maybe the new battery is shorting itself out. It happens. Then where-ever you bought the battery, if you got your receipt - they will take the faulty battery back and replace it (this is because the battery company waranttees the battery...(really depends on "what a few months really is") Batteries are usually warrantied for 72 months. So you do not get a full refund because you have used X months of the batteries life. So you got some use out of it. [if say you bought the battery 36 months ago and now it is dead then you pay for "half of the cost for another battery because you used "half of the battery's life"]

All the important stuff is in your "owners manual". Ignoring this is what "breaks" your car sooner.

Starter motor is fine, ignition switch is fine.(as it took you to "IGNITION" - which uses a tiny amount of battery power. If, when you turn the key to the starter position , the ignition warning lights DIM DOWN CONSIDERABLY, then that is for sure a WEAK BATTERY.

. IF THE dash lights do not change in their brightness then it is not the battery. Ignition switch OR starter motor. Most likely starter motor solenoid which is inside the starter so you just get another starter. However as this is a big job, this is where you have a mechanic confirm that is what it is.

. Out of 300 vehicles I had ONE ignition switch failure(and that car was 30 years old). Other vehicles I have had up to 70 years old and no problem with ignition switch.

• 9 months ago

Has the red battery charge warning light been coming on or glowing a bit at night? If so you have a bad alternator. Charge the battery with a portable battery charger set to 12 volts, 10 amps, for 6 hours and see if it starts .If you get it running go directly to an auto parts store and they will test the battery and charging system for free.

Try starting it in neutral.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 9 months ago

The battery controls your headlights and dashboard, if they turn on, but your engine won't start, a bad ignition switch is the likely culprit. 3. Broken Starter – Similar to a bad ignition switch, a broken starter is another common reason your car won't start.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

You can really tell nichts from this. You need to test the voltages. A fully charged battery engine off should read 12.6 volts. Running changing voltage 13.9. You should try turning the key repeatedly, in case it is the ignition switch it may turn over. If you are getting a good voltage to the starter and yet it does not respond it needs a solenoid or in practice a new starter. The other thing is the neutral saftey switch. Shift the shifter around a lot and that may make it work. This is actually the most likely cause.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Check for corrosion of the battery terminals. That is the most common cause of your trouble. Corroson of the terminals causes too much electrical resistance so the starter won't turn the engine over but not enough to effect low-power items like the dash lights. Didn't even bother to lift the bonnet and look did you? The less you know about cars the more they are going to cost you in maintenance and repairs, so try to educate yourself..

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

get the charging current checked at an auto store or buy a clip on ammeter and check it for your self

• 9 months ago

Sounds like your alternator isn't keeping the battery fully charged. Alternator could be weak, or not working at all. A new battery WILL allow the car to run fine for a while, but not forever if the alternator is failing.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

i would have a mechanic check it out

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Battery's dead. It has enough juice to turn on the dash lights, but not enough to turn the starter motor. Jump start it, it'll work again.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.