I get a download speed of around 14 mbps, but my upload is only about 0.7 mbps. Is this bad?

Favorite Answer

It is normal for your upload speed to be slower than your download speed. Most typical home users don't constantly upload things to the Internet, so they don't need super fast upload speeds. With AT&T U-Verse, the best they could do in my area was 18 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. We now have Comcast and get 180 Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.

There are symmetrical connections, meaning both your download and upload speeds are the same, but they are usually significantly more expensive than a regular home connection and not meant for home use. If you're fortunate enough to have fiber Internet access, you can usually get symmetrical speeds.

Who is your ISP? They might show a table of their speed plans and what the download and upload speeds are (as well as the average speeds.) Sometimes they're listed in their more technical pages.

That's one of the main reasons I'm not too fond of using cloud services for storage. My upload speeds are pretty slow relative to the amount of data I would want to backup.

It's only bad if that's not what you're paying for....... and...........

if you can get a much better Internet package for the same price.

One thing people and the ISP don't tell you is your Internet Package needs to be 'updated' every 2 years. These ISP companies are constantly refreshing their internet packages.

Otherwise, your speeds aren't that good. I'd suggest shopping for a new Internet plan.

If or when you do shop for a new plan.......make sure that you understand the contract. Some companies like Comcast offer a 2 year plan where you get a low price for the 1st year, then the rate doubles or triples during the 2nd year of the plan.

• Master Of Puppets

I don't know about "updated" every 2 years. We had AT&T U-Verse for nearly a decade and for at least 5 years, the fastest they could offer was 18 Mbps. Just recently did they start offering 50 Mbps but that's still pretty slow compared to the 180 Mbps from Xfinity.

• Mark

Pretty slow. Like, almost dial up speed.