Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 6 months ago

Do I need to call the police for a hit and run?

So I was parked and sitting in my car. Someone hit my car and drove off and I don’t know who did it and couldn’t catch them.

There’s hardly any damage and no injury and it was very minor. I have no idea who did it or even what their car or model is. Do I need to call the police for this? What do I do?

• Edna

Call the police. They'll make out a formal report that you can give to your auto insurance company. Call your insurance company and file a claim. Damage from hit-and-run will be paid from your "Uninsured Motorist" or "Unknown Motorist" coverage, after your deductible is applied.

If the damage was minor and you have no idea who caused it and you don't intend to file an insurance claim, then you don't have to do anything.

Hell yes you want to file a police report, and you want to do it quickly. Two reasons...

First, your insurance company will insist on one if you're able to claim this damage under your Collision coverage. Hit & run is only covered by Collision, and your policy only pays if the cost exceeds your deductible.

Second, and most importantly, you file a report to cover your own backside. Because if the human stain who hit you and took off is selfish enough to hit you and take off (and they were), they're probably also selfish enough to file a report claiming you hit them and took off. Oh yeah, there are people who will do that.

It’s worth filing a report.

You and the police know that the chances of success in solving your crime are almost nil, but it may be that police later that day stopped the other vehicle and found damage which could be forensically traced to your car (but realistically, with no injury they won’t spend money for expensive and time-consuming forensic reports). But a stopped car cross-referenced with multiple similar hit and run reports could prove very useful, especially if someone else was injured.

Police funding is also often determined by the number of incident reports. So when large numbers of crimes go unreported it can lead to a vicious circle where there are definitely never going to be enough police to solve or prevent those crimes.

So I’d argue that it’s always worth reporting such incidents ASAP, but if any significant time has now elapsed then you’ll just be wasting everyone’s time unless your insurer insists upon you getting a crime report number.

• Jay P

You should if you intend to file an insurance claim. But without a vehicle description or lic. plate number, there isn't much the cops can do unless an independent witness comes forward with additional information or video footage.

You don't have to, but it is sometimes desirable to have the police come around and take a report. You never know how many eyes ne'er do wells have. It shows respect for civil order. Much trouble shrinks back into the hedge.

I would recommend calling the police just in case they hit another car or person more seriously

If you are planning to file an insurance claim, then it's a good idea to call the police now, so that there is a record of you telling the police that it was a hit and run and the insurance company is less likely to think you damaged your car. If you are just going to pay out of pocket (or you aren't going to fix the damage), then you might not want to bother.

You need to file an accident report documenting your side of the story in case the other driver accuses you of hit and run.

i would so they can catch them

If you are going to use insurance to fix the car you will need to file ,a police report