Which luxury sunglasses brands are worth the money and which are to be avoided?

I am thinking of shelling out for a designer pair of shades for more business casual situations where my Oakley's would be out of place (i.e. when not sporting).

I have only had experience with one designer brand pair of sunglasses (Gucci Gold Plated Aviators) my fiancee got me for Valentines day last year. They looked cool for sure, and felt premium when wearing them; yet they only lasted a month because me being the clumsy moron I am sat on them by accident when I left them in my truck over night and they fell into the seat. Needless to say she wasn't too happy but stuck with me nonetheless haha (she is a keeper).

I don't think I'd go with Gucci again but obviously most sunglasses will break when you sit on them, other than my Oakley's apparently.

In the past I've owned Maui Jim, Oakley, and Ray-Ban. Of those, I think Maui Jim has my favorite lens, Oakley the most durable, and Ray-Ban the most stylish at that price point.

If I am going to shell out the extra couple hundred bucks, which of the following brands would be my best bet to not be a letdown to the three brands I am already used to.

Gucci, Prada, Persol, Tom Ford, Randolph Engineering, Georgio Armani, Oliver People's, or BVlgari

• Marvin
    Favorite Answer

None

All of them are made and designed by one company. That company is Luxottica. They only license the "designer" names, and logos. That is how all "designer" stuff works. Your pancake mix (Aunt Jemima) is just as "designer" as the glasses.

Like it or not, "designer" names are nothing more than franchises. The stuff is not designed by the person who's name appears on the label. Often the person is long deceased, retired, or just pain made up.

You do not think so? Just do some research. Ask yourself why so many "designers" who are deceased are still producing new items every season. Kate Spade is dead. So is Hugo Boss, and so is Hermes.

Take for example, Ray Ban. The brand was owned by Bousch and Lomb. You could buy them at Walgreen's for $30. B+L sold the brand to Luxottica. Luxottica took the brand off the market for a year. Luxottica brought it back, pretending that it was some kind of "designer" brand. Now they cost $200. Now they are sold in specialty stores, rather than Walgreen's. Only the marketing angle has changed.

All that said; NEVER buy knockoff glasses. Only properly coated polycarbonite lenses will protect you from UV. If you buy cheap lenses, the UV that enters from above (between your frames and forehead) will be reflected into your eyes. Having battled cataracts, I never buy cheap sunglasses.

• Brian8 months agoReport

Agreed, Maui Jim and Tom Ford are not Luxottica so I was thinking of that direction

Sure worth the money

---

Source(s): greatmallworld

I'm a Ray-Ban man myself. I have been since 1997.

• andy

none of them are worth the money

• Brian9 months agoReport

Based on experience, or just your opinion on them? If you have had bad experiences with any of them, which in particular and why?

ray ban is the only way to go

i would just buy whichever one you want

• Brian9 months agoReport

I don't have experience with the brands, I was hoping people who did would either recommend to go with one or stay away from one of the ones I listed.

go for $5 walmart budget brand … that way you can lose 'em or have 'em stolen and it won't matter.