Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 6 months ago

What does it mean when you just feel numb?

I’ve had so much go on in my life recently I can’t even feel depressed. I lost my home in a fire in 2017, Someone hit and totaled my brand new car as I pulled out of the dealership last month, now I found out my job is ending at the end of October due to the company closing and my husband and I are going through a divorce.

I don’t even feel depressed I feel completely NUMB. I literally can’t feel anything at all. If I do feel anything it’s mostly anger. What does it mean when you can’t feel anything and you are just numb?

• Foofa

Probably means you're in a state of emotion shock and will require some counseling to get back in touch with your feelings. This is your mind trying to protect you but if it goes on for too long it can become a permanent and debilitating situation.

You've been hit with a lot of stressful situations in a relatively short amount of time. It's very understandable.

Do you spend much time outside and off the pavement? I ask because we are animals of this planet and the more time we give ourselves outside, off the pavement, taking your shoes off if possible and feeling the Earth.. the better it is for our mental health.

If you have 30 minutes, go to the park, the river, the ocean, the lake, the mountains and lay down on the sand, the earth, the boulder, the grass.. and just breathe. Slow it all down and allow yourself the delight of just feeling human. It'll help. If you do it every day, it'll help lot! If you just do it three times a week? It'll help a lot. Our mental health is directly tuned in to getting tuned into the earth.

The numbness is just one of the stages of grief, and you have so much to be grieving about. Seek help because when the numbness fades the pain will be excruciating. You will need help to get through it. Who are your support networks, friends or family that you can turn to? If no-one seek a Support Group.

You've reached rock bottom. Get some help.

Numb is lack of emotion.....

• PR

Get together with some friends for talk and support. You need someone to talk with.

It means you have had too much going on to be able to process it.

Then, you need to believe that despite all these disappointing events, things will be even better than before. Sometimes one thing ending leads to something better. Believe that.

Someone I know took a kick boxing class to get through some things. Maybe something like that would help you? Or, a vacation, however humble and low in cost. Just getting away from things sometimes helps one's perspective.

• Molly

It's worth noting that anger and especially numbness are common symptoms of depression. I don't know whether you are depressed, but numbness in response to traumatic life events is often seen as a sort of "fight or flight" reaction. In other words, postponing your emotions may allow you to handle the situations at hand without becoming overwhelmed.