Anonymous

I have been babysitting for almost 3 years and my resume has a gap in it?

My last "real" job was 3 years ago. Since then I've been babysitting for family members, like a live-in nanny. They have a busy schedule with their career and it's something we all agreed on. Plus I love being their nanny rather than some stranger. The thing is I'm worried this gap in my work history will look bad on a resume. I'm getting paid under the table so I won't put it down. What do I do in the future when I need to get another job?

• August

Don't show any gaps,just let everything overlap

Everybody has gaps. Just have a good and positive response if / when asked. [ "I learned a great deal about dealing with people as a nanny !" ]

• Judy

Put it on your resume. The potential employer won't care that you were paid illegally

• Stoo

That's still a job. No one cares if it's above the table or not. That's what you were doing so put it down, more as live-in nanny vs. "babysitting" which sounds like you're 12.

You can put it on your resume, even if you were paid under the table. Just don't send your resume to the IRS.

I would list the "nanny" job just like any other.

A potential employer isn't going to know, or likely to find out, that you were being paid "under the table".