Is it worth buying a bass boat that been sitting for at least 10yrs for $500.?

I found a bass boat sitting in a yard for long as I can remember. I say over 10yrs and I knocked on the door to check it out but no answer. Also how much would it cost to put a motor and clean it up inside, just want to use for fishing and don t care what paint looks like. Any help would help. Would be my first boat buying

Favorite Answer

If it is an aluminum boat and has no holes in it then it will be fine. Cleaning it up will cost practically nothing if you do it yourself. How about the trailer? Is it in good shape and not rusted out. If it has been sitting for 10 years it will need a new set of tires. Figure on at least $200 for tires. An engine will cost you around $1,000 per horsepower for a new engine and around $1500 for a good used 30-35 h.p. engine.

• KY-Clay

I meant to say a new engine will cost $100 per horsepower.

Paint is what keeps water from damaging the hull- you better care what it looks like. If you want a motor big enough to move the boat at all it will cost more then 500. 5000 would be a little closer to the cost of a new motor.

How big is the boat? Personally if it has been sitting in a yard for 10 years, then perhaps the person will give it to you for free, just to get rid of their "trash" from their yard to make the yard look better. And so, they won't have to pay someone to get rid of it for them.