if the police confiscate your guns and don't compensate you is it considered theft?
- Old Man DirtLv 76 months ago
There are a couple of times the police can legally take guns:
1. If the person is in illegal possession of the weapons (stolen, no serial number, banned from having them and several others).
2. They were used in a criminal act or suspected of being used in a criminal act.
If any of the above apply compensation is not required
There is also the possibility that a gun can be impounded by the police. If this is the case they can also be released provided they were legally obtained.
The constitution at this point does not allow the government to authorize confiscation by passing a law which dictates a universal confiscation of goods (guns) that were legally obtained. This includes such items that were already in the supply chain. Well any place but the soviet socialist state of California. It can ban the manufacturing or import of such items. But said items already made have in the past been allowed to be sold. The exception being slaves in the USA after passage of the amendments that were passed out lawing ownership of persons.
- EntropyLv 76 months ago
If it's confiscation, you're not going to get compensation. It's not an eminent domain thing. It's that they're being taken from you for some violation.
- DontTellMeLv 76 months ago
😄 I'd say no.
Because guns are weapons of mass destruction.
However, thank the 2nd Amendment it will never come to pass. We're doomed by our own demise.
- mercedesLv 76 months ago
No. It is taking away something that you are forbidden to own. Not being paid is part of the punishment.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Spock (rhp)Lv 76 months ago
no. there are two cases in America: if you legally weren't supposed to have guns, then they are forfeit. else it is a taking under the Fifth Amendment and you may sue for compensation
- StephenWeinsteinLv 76 months ago
No. "Theft" is an illegal taking. Taxes and government confiscation are not theft, because they are legal.
- 6 months ago
Only if they are wearing masks
- RickLv 76 months ago
Not if they return them.
- Uncle PennybagsLv 76 months ago
When the government steals, it's called taxation!
- I was wrong onceLv 76 months ago
Only if you are white.