What's the difference between a lab tech and a lab assistant?

Ive had a previous job as a lab assistant, processing specimens and preparing them for testing. But I applied for a lab tech position, it says it requires 0-3 years experience. Someone told me that lab tech and lab assistant were the same thing. But I thought lab tech also tests specimens. Someone told me that lab... show more Ive had a previous job as a lab assistant, processing specimens and preparing them for testing. But I applied for a lab tech position, it says it requires 0-3 years experience. Someone told me that lab tech and lab assistant were the same thing. But I thought lab tech also tests specimens. Someone told me that lab tech and lab assistant were the same thing. Could I become a lab tech? It says that its an entry level position.
Update: Can I be a lab tech without experience? It says entry level. I only have experience in processing samples and phlebotomy.
Update 2: Its not a medical laboratory tech, but its in the hospital lab.