How to tell a child that a loved one has passed away?

Our grandma has passed away because of a long hard disease. We haven't told my brother because we don't know the correct words, I mean we want to make him know that death is a transition to a better life when someone (most of the time, older people) are suffering.

• Ludwig

Same as with the goldfish. Rush out and get another one quick and perhaps he won't notice the difference.

How old is your brother? I know a 4 year old who was told that her grandmother had died, but that they would always have her in their hearts. Kids that young don't really understand what death means. A short time afterward her other grandmother showed the girl some jewelry that the girl would inherit after the grandmother died. The little girl said, "How soon will that be?" The grandmother said, "Wouldn't you be sad if I died?" The girl said, "Yes, but I'd still have you in my heart!" Just tell him.

just tell him shes gone to heaven and he will see her again in heaven when he goes there