Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

I choked out a girl in my bjj class, does that make me look bad to others?

I'm a brand new white belt, and I was rolling with another beginner in class the other day. I was able to get her in a rear naked choke and was slowly applying pressure. She was fighting it, but I knew it was sunk in deep and I was just trying to apply enough pressure to make her tap. Well, her arms went limp and I let go immediately. She was cool about it, but I got a few dirty looks and roughed up by some of the other higher belts later on in practice. She shook my hand after practice and told me "good roll, see you on Monday." Will I be looked at as a mat bully or an a hole? Or is it just something that happens?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Steel
    Lv 6
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You let go immediately after you realized she went limp, and ideally, she should have tapped. No, you weren't in the wrong, especially being a beginner. Who was supposed to be supervising your match? Also, when you're in any sort of practice bout, there is only you, and your opponent regardless of age, gender, etc. If you're both equal ranks and are matched accordingly, you're expected to utilize what you've learned.

• Lv 4
      6 months agoReport

good answer & good point, safety is important

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 months ago

How long was she out?

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

You're new, so now you know. Just be a little less mean on weaker people next time. Remember a lot of people learn to fight because they were bullied themselves. So if you do come across like a bully regularly, then I'm sure some of those tougher guys will want to rough you up pretty regular.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

all right im going to give you advice. if this girl is attractive then you need to try choking her again until shes forced to join your harem. if not then avoid her next time

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 months ago

ok, well you cant help what people think of you. but you can do things to make some of the higher belts think twice about bullying you.

my advice, watch videos, read books. and see if you cant find content about cheapshots and dirty ways to fight that wont be noticed by the dojo instructor.

because honestly you have a target on your back now with the higher belts. but find slick ways to dominate them on the mat and they'll leave you alone.

Source(s): nothing
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

its part of the class, they shouldnt look bad at you for that

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.