Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 6 months ago

I choked out a girl in my bjj class, does that make me look bad to others?

I'm a brand new white belt, and I was rolling with another beginner in class the other day. I was able to get her in a rear naked choke and was slowly applying pressure. She was fighting it, but I knew it was sunk in deep and I was just trying to apply enough pressure to make her tap. Well, her arms went limp and I let go immediately. She was cool about it, but I got a few dirty looks and roughed up by some of the other higher belts later on in practice. She shook my hand after practice and told me "good roll, see you on Monday." Will I be looked at as a mat bully or an a hole? Or is it just something that happens?

• Steel
    Favorite Answer

You let go immediately after you realized she went limp, and ideally, she should have tapped. No, you weren't in the wrong, especially being a beginner. Who was supposed to be supervising your match? Also, when you're in any sort of practice bout, there is only you, and your opponent regardless of age, gender, etc. If you're both equal ranks and are matched accordingly, you're expected to utilize what you've learned.

• Lv 4

good answer & good point, safety is important

How long was she out?

You're new, so now you know. Just be a little less mean on weaker people next time. Remember a lot of people learn to fight because they were bullied themselves. So if you do come across like a bully regularly, then I'm sure some of those tougher guys will want to rough you up pretty regular.

all right im going to give you advice. if this girl is attractive then you need to try choking her again until shes forced to join your harem. if not then avoid her next time

ok, well you cant help what people think of you. but you can do things to make some of the higher belts think twice about bullying you.

my advice, watch videos, read books. and see if you cant find content about cheapshots and dirty ways to fight that wont be noticed by the dojo instructor.

because honestly you have a target on your back now with the higher belts. but find slick ways to dominate them on the mat and they'll leave you alone.

Source(s): nothing

its part of the class, they shouldnt look bad at you for that